Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2002 Honda ATV Rubicon Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Honda ATV Rubicon Shifting Problem

Can someone please point me in the right direction. This has been an ongoing problem with the ATV and I have spent a couple of thousand on repairs alone with still NO results.
When I put the machine into reverse it starts to sputter and backfire, then when I put it into neutral, the D1, D2 and ESP lights will flash simultaneously and I am unable to change gear selections except into the reverse mode. If I reset the computer, as long as I stay driving forward the machine works fine. If I put it into reverse the problem appears.
The machine is back in the shop again after 3 hours of use and this time 900 dollars Canadian later. I have seen a few people on this forum with the same problem. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
I have changed:
-the ICU (3 times)
-high speed sensor
-reverse switch (both switches)
-the little motor on the left hand side (2 times)
This machine has been nothing but problems and I have had no support from Honda and the 2 dealers I have regularly been bringing the ATV to.
Feel free to answer if you can
Thank you

Old 12-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you have to count the number of flashes on the gear position indicator..

Old 12-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You for replying to my problem, but what does the number of flashes indicate. The Honda dealership where I take the ATV is unable to fix the problem. This ATV has been nothing but a money pit.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If I recall correctly, you put in N, and then turn the key on while hoding both the up and down shift buttons. Then immediately release both buttons and press them again for 2 seconds.

The -- should blink out a trouble code, which can then be looked up to find out why the transmission is in limp mode (dash blinking, stutters in reverse).

Once it starts blinking out a code, release the buttons. There may be two numbers, seperated by a 2 second pause...

If you push and hold up and down for several seconds while it is blinking out the code, it should clear the codes and start blinking a slow pattern.

There is also a computer initialization procedure that has to be done whenever an angle sensor, throttle sensor or ECM is replaced or the carb has been removed or replaced.

You start the engine and let it idle in N for 30 seconds, then put it in D while in D1 and move slowly forward about 5 feet.

Turn the ignition switch off, then turn it back on while holding both Up and Down. Reelase up and down immediatly, then push and release Up, Down, and Up.

You should get a steady -- in the display. If not, repeat above.

Next step is to move the throttle from idle position to full throttle, and immediately back to idle position. This needs to be done within 10 seconds of when it started showing the constant --.

You should then hear the shift control motor run through it's range of motion (so the computer can calibrate to the angle sensor).

If the process completed correctly, the constant -- should then change to N.

If it goes back to blinking in normal mode, a half second blink followed by a half second pause indicates the initial setting procedure was done incorrectly. If the blink is much briefer, but pause is half a second, it is indicating another failure code.