Old 01-15-2009 | 10:27 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default rocket brand racing fuel???

so should i stick to running premium?

Old 01-15-2009 | 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yes 93 is all you need. You may even get away with 89 depending on where your timing is set at.

Old 01-15-2009 | 10:48 PM
|
Trailblazer

come to think about it, if i put anything in it lower than premium like unleaded or plus it dont want to run right, it kept cutting out and it wasnt as responsive.

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Probably detonating due to the lower octane.

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

My friend works here at VP in Terre Haute.And he gave me a long talk about what makes their fuel so much better than gas station pump fuel.The main reason is that gas station fuel believe it or not actually has just as much additives in it as it does actual fuel.Most of which are main ingredients in most paint thinners and cleaning solvents.Not to mention Ethanol.Which I am not sold as a safe alternative fuel.Theirs are a more pure fuel formula.Anyways I am getting off subject..The only reason to go with a higher octane fuel is to eliminate predetonation.Which is a side effect of increased compression.So no you do not need a high octane fuel.However I would not recommend running anything less than 90 octane fuel if it is coming from a gas station.Those additives are put in there to help with emissions and cost at the pumps.The lower the grade....The more it is watered down with additives....Its all personal choice.Just giving you my 2 cents.

Vp makes 90 octane fuel and it isn't much more than pump gas....Just a thought.

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:19 PM
|
Trailblazer

wow.....thanks for all the info...

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Try pricing MS93 at your local VP seller.I know our Sunoco stations here have pumps that carry high performance fuel that is blue like MS93 and I have heard good things about it too.

Old 01-15-2009 | 11:49 PM
|
Trailblazer

yeah ill have to give it a shot...it sounds like anything will do better than the pump gas im using now...

Old 01-16-2009 | 12:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>come to think about it, if i put anything in it lower than premium like unleaded or plus it dont want to run right, it kept cutting out and it wasnt as responsive. </end quote></div>

The specific gravity of pump gas is a lot different than race gas. This will throw the jetting off if jetted for one or the other. If the old owner jetted it for race gas and you tired pump gas it won't run correctly because the jetting will be off.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Probably detonating due to the lower octane. </end quote></div>
No way IMHO will a true 10 to 1 aluminum headed engine detonate on pump gas. I run an iron wedge head all day long on 87. A hemi head is good for about 1/2 point of compression and the aluminum is good for about a full point. That brings that engine down to about an 8.5 to a 9 to one engine.

The real question is this a real 10 to 1 engine? Or did someone get cute with a mill?

Old 01-16-2009 | 11:35 AM
|
Trailblazer

good question... i am e-mailing the guy i got it off of and seeing if it is a 10:1 or something different..

Quick Reply: rocket brand racing fuel???