Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

500 Foreman or Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 Foreman or Rubicon

O.K., I am an old fat guy, 47 years old, and I only ride recreationally. Evenings and weekends, an occaisional poker run and use ATV for hunting.
I am going to upgrade from a Big Bear 350 to a Honda 500.
I ahve a chance at a "cherry" 2007 foreman 500 ES, or therer are good incentives for a nes 500 Foreman Rubicon.

I realize the Rubicon is an excellent machine, but do I need it?
Will the Foreman 500ES serve my needs well?

Which one?????????????????

Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Other than the Foreman has to be shifted you would be hard pressed to tell them apart. Might want to look at the Rincon or the new 420 Rancher also, take a long touring ride on a IRS suspension ATV and you will never want a straight axle again. Your back and butt will thank you.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think the Rubicon transmission is a needlessly complex solution to a very simple problem, that can be better solved with a manual transmission.

The ES button shifting option can be problematic. There are always a couple posts in here from folks having trouble with them. I would opt for a foot shifter, but just so you know what you are possibly getting into with the ES....

Old 01-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Myself, I want to upgrade my old 2001 450ES to a newer 500ES

----- Gimpster -----

Old 01-21-2009, 05:13 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Gimpster

Myself, I want to upgrade my old 2001 450ES to a newer 500ES

----- Gimpster -----</end quote></div>

I had a 450 ES and ride my friends 500 ES lots, see pics, The 500 has a bit more plusher ride and steers nicer due to the selectable 2wd option,but its hard to notice a power increase is only 43cc larger than your 450. The brakes and tranny have not changed ,to me it just has slicker looking plastics and cooler looking dash board.

Take the plastic off both and it would be hard to tell which from which.

Don,t just take my word for it.http://www.powersportsnetwork...._vehicle.asp?veh=53842

Just saying don,t expect much with that upgrade.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

myself, i would buy a rancher 420. 1hp less than the foreman 450 stock, either footshift or auto and possibly IRS avalibal. if you just want a recreational bike i would opt for IRS. i would not concider choosing a 420 over a foreman 500 a "downgrade". more features for the money.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cherokee99

myself, i would buy a rancher 420. 1hp less than the foreman 450 stock, either footshift or auto and possibly IRS avalibal. if you just want a recreational bike i would opt for IRS. i would not concider choosing a 420 over a foreman 500 a "downgrade". more features for the money.</end quote></div>

You are going to get a lot more for your $$$$ with the Rancher 420! The Foreman is kind of "old school" by comparison, not having either fuel injection or water cooling.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Between the Rubicon and Foreman, the Rubicon is a hydrostatic continually variable transmission that can simulate a geared transmission by letting you select between 5 preset ratios. The Foreman is a typical 5 speed geared transmission with auto clutch. Newer ES systems are supposed to be much improved, but if you are doing deep water/mud you would want to pack all the electrical connectors with diaelectric grease.

Also the Rubicon is a 4 valve liquid cooled motor, where the Foreman is air/oil cooled 2 valve. Seat of the pants power is pretty much the same. Between the two (going to ride a Rubicon around sothern Arizona in the am, and own a Foreman) I kind of prefer the Foreman. It's basically personal preference- do you like the control of a manual transmission and think of shifting as part of the fun, or would you rather not have to mess with shifting?

The Rubicon would be my choice for plowing and towing, but I prefer the Foreman as a trail quad. Your opinion might vary...

Over the 450 Foreman, I like the suspension and front disk brakes of the new ones better.

The Rancher 420 is a little physically smaller, very nimble and snappy riding quad worth thinking about. Liquid cooled, EFI. There is a new automatic/IRS version that I haven't ridden.

The IRS would ride MUCH better, especially at high speed over rough stuff. Solid rear axles tend to give less muted (or harsher) feedback, corner flatter, powerslide easier, and don't sag under the hitch weight of a heavy trailer.

I really like the Rincon, but not everybody does. They have a reputation for racking up tens of thousands of trouble free miles (as do most Hondas). The IRS is really well dialed in. You really don't realize how fast you are floating over really rough stuff until you ride the same patch on a solid rear axle machine, yet it doesn't wallow or have excessive body roll in corners and side hills. It's biggest flaw is it is a high geared 3 speed auto with no low range. Engine braking starts at about 6ish, but a really steep downhill would have you doing 12 without using the brakes.

Anyway, see if you can get a ride on several machines. That's the best way to make sure you get the machine that most matches the riding you are going to do, and your personal preferences.