Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rancher 2008 4x4 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rancher 2008 4x4 Tires

I've been thinking about getting some new bigger tires for my Rancher. I would like to know what tires and rims should I purchase. I mostly ride on dirt roads, trails, and sand dunes. Some of the trails have mud. I was also thinking of having a 2" lift kit put on the atv.

Are there disadvantages in getting bigger tires and a lift kit put on?

A friend of mine thinks I should get 27" Gorilla tires and the lift kit put on.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

bigger tires is almost a must!! The only draw back is loss in power...and your speedometer will be off. I believe you have stock 24" or 25" tires i would go one size bigger. As far as tires go....i cant give any advice cause i dont know what your riding through, however if you get new rims and tires keep your stocks and use them for trails and im assuming an aggressive tire for mud and such. Itp mudlites, goodyear mud runner, swamp fox, bridgestone mud hogs i believe, these are the tires we run and have had good luck with them. As far as the lift kit goes the only draw back would be your cv angle in the front, if you go too high you will prematurely wear them out and they will fail....i think the rear is fine because you have the solid rear axle.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Computergal

Physics say higher center gravity...equals worse handling. If you climbing, or traveling along a steep hill side, you might not like the view with the lift kit. If your replacing your wheels, I'd find a set of 26" tires (If you have a 420 rancher you dont need a lift kit, or otherwise just replace your 24" with like a 25 inch Swamp Fox set. I shopped and found they offer the front and rear end wheel size for the 420.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience has been that bigger tires just ruin the Rancher's sweet handling characteristics. And as for a lift, Honda works hard to make their quads the most stable ones on the market...why go and ruin that too????

If you feel like you need a monster mud bogger, geat a different quad!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Range Rover

Get 26" or 27" any tires that you like, Maxxis Mud Bug, Swamplite but not good for sand dunes, Swamp Fox Plus or Swamp Fox, HL Outlaw MST, Maxxis Zilla, and ITP Mud Lite XTR are all good for what you are looking for. The Rancher 420 can handle these tires fine but you will notice the difference, and lift kit? I would go with rims and tires then think about the lift kit later. And my experience is that ALL people are not the same and we all don't ride on the same grounds. Also some like pure trails, some like to go mudding, and some are 50/50. No it didn't ruined my rancher sweet handling characteristics because my riding condition are 70-80% mudding and the rest trails. I need bigger and more aggressive tires for my riding style and I don't need a bigger quad to get that satisfaction.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

If the conditions you are riding in are true, they are similar conditions that I ride in here in Wyoming plus snow. If you are wanting to sweet'en the ride some, I would suggest Terra-Cross or Big Horn radials in, not larger than, the 25". I finally went with Terra-Cross and they are perfect for my conditions and being radial, the ride is super. We ride gravel, rocking trails. boulders, wooded areas with down fall and a little mud in places. Winter snow plowing.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Range Rover

The next tires I'm buying are 27" Maxxis Mud Bug or 27" Gorilla-S-Backs I'm leaning more on Mud Bugs less aggressive then both Outlaws & Gorilla plus way cheaper! Your lucky, no snow in Texas.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've got 27" mud bugs on my 450 foreman and a lift kit I travel through alot of mud, snow and all those things.. I'm in nova scotia we have some pretty rough terrian here and I love the tires and the lift they serve me pretty well.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 27" ITP 589s with a 1.5" lift. I like to ride mud holes so the aggressive tires and lift help out. I would agree with the Mudlight or XTR in 26 or 27 at most.

BTW Hondaray my parents have a cottage south of Truro on the Bay of Fundy. Haven't been there yet but they like it enough to drive 26 hours each way in May and October to spend the summer up there.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

'south of Truro on the Bay of Fundy"

LOL,,,,, is that some kind of joke or what?

Quick Reply: Honda Rancher 2008 4x4 Tires