Bypass neutral safety switch 99 400EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bypass neutral safety switch 99 400EX

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dariusld

I think he just worded his question wrong or you misunderstood his question. Many people do this mod when they replace the stock clutch lever. Just connect the two wires leading to the clutch lever, as said before.</end quote></div>

I can't imagine what the value of removing the switch would ever be. You will have to pull the clutch in anyway switch or not, or it might will lurch forward and maybe damage the starter, not to mention get you killed. Might as well have the switch there to prevent an accident....

Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: eprovenzano

The neutral safety switch is designed to not allow you to start the bike unless its in neutral. Currently unless the bike is in neutral and the neutral indicator is on, the starter will not engage, I'm looking for a way to bypass it.</end quote></div>

The Honda autoclutch/sportclutch quads, have to be in neutral to start. Some people neutralize that switch....and most likely he assumed the 400EX is that same way....which it is not.

Just for the record, my Rancher 420 will start in any gear, as long as the front brake is being pulled. Nice feature...gives you the convenience of an any gear start, but yet it won't lurch forward and surprise someone.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dariusld

I think he just worded his question wrong or you misunderstood his question. Many people do this mod when they replace the stock clutch lever. Just connect the two wires leading to the clutch lever, as said before.</end quote></div>

I can't imagine what the value of removing the switch would ever be. You will have to pull the clutch in anyway switch or not, or it might will lurch forward and maybe damage the starter, not to mention get you killed. Might as well have the switch there to prevent an accident....</end quote></div>

When I first put an aftermarket clutch lever on my 400ex, I made it so it would only start in neutral. It had to be that way because the stock lever had the switch in it. In certain situations that wasn't the wisest choice, so I connected so it would start whenever, not just neutral. But all the people I ride with are very good riders and usually I am the only one the rides my quad. Ever ride a dirt bike, they start in any gear? How about an old car?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

07 4ooex put a aftermarket clutch perch on mine.hooked the 2 wires together that were on the stock perch.mine cranks without the clutch pulled in any gear i know not good it will start with clutch pulled in in any gear BUT reverse

Old 06-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you guys thought that maybe he has a aftermarket clutch lever like me?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Old post but wanted to chime in. I eliminated the E brake on my 04 400EX and wanted to get rid of that clanky 2 post lever. Order a nice adjust on the fly lever from Ebay and installed last night. Found these 2 wires going into stock lever and though WTH is that!
Figured I would just tape them around the bars and see if she starts. Was in neutral and started fine. Went to put away in the shed and bike was in gear. Push the button and nothing! Mmmmmm found out was those 2 wires are for! Started searching and found this thread. Great info and thanks! I will splice them together and hide behind the plastic. New to this site and the 4 wheeler world. Thanks again!!