Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Finally, back on the trails with a new 420 Rancher 4x4 manual shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009 | 11:02 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Finally, back on the trails with a new 420 Rancher 4x4 manual shift

After over 8 years of being without an ATV I finally found myself in a position to buy a left over 2008 Rancher 420 4x4 manual shift. Since my good friend Mark was also in the market we headed down to our local Honda dealer and got a pretty good deal since we bought two at once. Since we purchased them some 2 months ago we have only missed one weekend of riding. Once my wife drove my Rancher she too wanted one so we got her a white one, (mines olive). My wife is naturally coordinated but riding an ATV is a skill that needs to be practiced. Even so, she has pretty much follows my buddy and I everywhere we go. Still, on some off camber and steep hill climbs my buddy and I will spot her. She would have rolled it this past weekend if I was not right there to catch her. She scared the crap out of herself which was a good reality check for her. We are having so much fun riding that on Mondays we are already planning for the coming weekend's ride.

As far as maintenance is concerned; since my wife, my buddy, and I all own 420 4x4 manual shift Ranchers we went in on the service manual and spent this past Saturday adjusting the valves and changing the oil on all three units. Interesting was the fact that my ATV was dead one with regard to valve clearance while my buddy's and wife's were off on the exhaust valve clearance, both their ATV's were tight. The manual said .009 for the exhaust while both ATV's had .005. So we opened the clearance to .008 assuming it will eventually wear .009. Finally we installed fuel filters on all three units. We were a little concerned that the filters would reduce fuel flow but after a 10 mile fast and furious ride neither machine faltered in anyway.

I look forward to chatting with all you.

Old 03-10-2009 | 11:47 AM
Range Rover

Sounds good and good choice on the Manual shift you will hardly have any problem. Also if you do any deep water riding keep in eye on the rear differential. I also have the service manual but kinda rather let Honda mess with the Valve adjustment. I know I can tare it down my self and get to it but just kinda don't trust my self doing it. Also found out that Rancher 420 does have a fuel filter but its inside the Fuel Pump.

Old 03-10-2009 | 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

Good to hear you like your New Ranchers.

I have an 2006 350 es 2w drive, and an 2008 es 4 wheel drive model. I need to aquire a manual for both, and I suspect the o6 model will need the valve clearance checked anytime.

Old 03-22-2009 | 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

heck yeah man. the foot shifter is the way to go.. i have a honda rancher 350, but in about 3 or 4 weeks i will have a 420.. i rode on and fell in love with it, its a great machine...