Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Kodiak or Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2000, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my problem, I want an ATV bad! I have narrowed the field to a Kodiak 4x4 or the Rancher es 4x4. I understand they both have good points and bad. I really want this to take hunting and do tons of trail riding in the MD,PA,VA area of the country. I plan on having it in the mud and the wooded trails both. I understand the Rancher has a much better front Diff, but it seems the Kodiak has more travel front and rear. Is there a way (aftermarket?) to put a locker on the Kodiak? How if the power on both machines? I am around 5'5" and about 150lbs so I think that should be easy for either machine. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Old 06-18-2000, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

I would suggest that you don`t put a locker on a kodiak if you want to do alot of trail ridding. I would go with the kodiak, which I think is a better trail machine...Well in fact, I think that these two quads are very good. It depends on if you want fully automatic or push button shifting and if you want a better front diff or the option of ridding in 2 or 4 wheel drive...

Old 06-19-2000, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

both are great quads, but i would lean toward the kodiak, because it is much more nimble on the trails and has plenty of power!i think you will be satisfied with either!!!
good luck.

2000 kodiak
hunter green

Old 06-23-2000, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would say you should go with the Kodiak. It has much more power and the push button 2wd/4wd is a must have feature. I'm 6'4", 250lbs. and my Kodiak blazes through trails. While the Rancher is a sweet quad, I don't think it is really in the same class as a Kodiak. Kodiak has bigger engine, in and out 2wd/4wd, liquid cooled, more suspension travel, etc. Kodiak is more suited for comparison against a Foreman than a Rancher. One thing the Rancher ES does have on the Kodiak is that cool LCD display but that is about it. Look over the specs at each manufacturers website. There you can get a head to head comparison. I think you'll be happier with the Kodiak but both are nice bikes!

Old 06-23-2000, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

In my opinion you've narrowed your choice down to the two best quads in this class. I came to the same situation, and ended up with the Rancher. My reasons were as follows: better price ($700 bucks cheaper), new front end is superior, honda reliablity - even though Yamaha is top notch also and finally I like shifting gears and don't want the headaches of a belt driven quad.

I do think many of the options on the kodiak are great, I would like push button 4wd and the larger engine but it just comes down to what you like. You probably end up liking either bike you choose, good luck!

Old 06-23-2000, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Just decide wether or not you want to change gears or ride an auto. As I also feel that these are two of the best quads in there class,if not two of the best overall. Either way you cant go wrong.

Old 06-26-2000, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Both of these quads are very good. Both won there respective classes in shootouts by the magazines.

The Rancher has MSRP of $5399 & the Kodiak of $6099.

First test ride each to see which one fits you better.

Second which dealer is going to give you the best deal!

Good luck on your choice.