Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

93 TRX200D TypeII Fourtrax Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 TRX200D TypeII Fourtrax Idle Issue

I'm fairly new to working on atv's as this was given to me by my dad. I have changed brakes and oil and done some minor things but now I have a bigger problem that I need help with. I'll give some background info that could help. Back in the winter at deer camp it wouldn't run and I found the air box full of gas and the air filter had disentigrated. The air box was plugged with trash and wasn't able to drain, but that doesn't explain why gas was in there to begin with. I got a new air filter and cleared the trash and stored it at my dads. The gas tank has some rust in, actually quite a bit, so we have to keep the tank full so that it doesn't get condensation and rust more. I went to get it a couple of weeks ago and found that the gas tank was empty. The fuel shutoff switch was in the OFF position so I'm not sure where it went. My dad swears he filled it up, in fact, I filled it up and put Stabil in it when I brought it home from deer camp so the gas wouldnt gum up. So we put more gas in it and it started but wouldn't idle. I used it for what I needed to and am now trying to find out why it won't idle. I decided to take the gas tank off today and see what it looked like thinking maybe trash had something blocked. The gas was brown due to all the rust, but I did shake it up to free some knowing I was dumping the gas out. I took the flow control off the bottom of the tank and took it apart and cleaned it as well as I could. I put it back on and put new gas in the tank and it still won't idle. It actually sounds like it has a slight miss as it "pops" just a bit at low rpm. I also noticed that the air filter smelled like gas. Is this normal? I checked to spark plug but it looked ok. I did notice that the choke sleeving had broken and the choke might not be pushing in all the way as the cable moves now. My next plan was to take the carb apart and rebuild it. I called a local cycle shop and he said he had two rebuild kits. One was $9.99 and the other was $39.99. He said if I wanted to fix it I shoujld get the $39.99 one. What would the difference be? I know I have rambled but I hope that someone can possibly lead me down the right path. Could it have a vacuum leak somewhere or getting air? That's kinda what the "miss" sounds like. I just don't know where to look. Thanks in advance for your help... dave