Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman 500 error code

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman 500 error code

I just purchased a 07 500 Foreman 4x4 manual shift and I love it so far. I got a great deal on it and it is basically mint, but it started randomly throwing a code this afternoon when I was riding it. In neutral or any gear, including reverse, sometimes it would start randomly blinking between N & --. It would alternate that a few times and then blink -- a few times in a row. Turn the key off and crank it back and the code is not there. Drive it around for a while and sometimes it'll throw the code, sometimes it won't. But what the hell could it be throwing a code about? It's carbed with a manual shift tranny, what is electronically controlled on it? It runs great and I don't notice any problems. There's no real similarities as to when it comes on, just randomly. Help a brother out, thanks. Heres a pic of my need ride

Old 04-27-2009, 01:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Nice looking rig.

It does have a computer that monitors front vehicle speed, rear vehicle speed, throttle position and a bunch of other stuff.

Next time it bliks, count the blinks between pauses and post back. It may give two numbers, and repeat.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Trailblazer

will do. I'll post back up thursday when I'm off work. thanks man

Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer

got my buddy to run it while I'm at work and he said it flashes N 13 times. Does that mean anything to you guys?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code #13 is throttle position sensor ... There was a safety recall on the 2007 TRX500FE/FM for wire harness water damage .. I would check your serial number to see if it is in the serial number range and if it is I would check to see if the recall was done on it...

Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

I doubt the recall was done. The wheeler only has 125 mi/35 hrs on it. The guy never drove it. it just sat in his garage. guess i'll call my honda shop in the morning and see about getting that checked out. thanks for the heads up

Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

That sucks, hope its something simple.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default throwing more error codes and it's a mystery

well it's been a while since I posted on this and my 500 has been in the shop for 3 wks now. And safe to say I'm pretty farking annoyed. Come to find out the recall had already been done to my 500. So, no big deal, i just tell the dealer to replace the TPS sensor since they got so I can get it back. Well, 2 days later I call to see if it's ready since all they had to do was replace the sensor. The service manager said that they got a defective TPS sensor and Honda's sending them another one tomorrow. So tomorrow comes and goes and I call them 2 days later and now it's throwing more error codes. So the service manager thinks it's got to be the ECU. I debate with him about this and tell him that there's no way its the ECU. Anyway they rob one of a showroom 500 and put it on mine and my 500 is still throwing the same codes. 2 wks has passed by this time and I call the service manager again and he says they're basically out of ideas. He said it's throwing a TPS error code, gera position error code, and another one I can't remember. But this 500 is mint, it has never been abused and I can't understand this. It's not the ECU and it's the sensor, so my logical explanation is that's got to be in the wiring somewhere. They can't figure it out. So finally they call Honda and they give them some tests and possible solutions as my jackass service dept people have evidently road the short bus. They talked to the service manager yesterday and they put in another call to honda is what he told me, it's still not right. WTF!!!!

I don't understand how I can bring in a great running fourwheeler and now it's gone to sh$t. Somebody help me out here. Any ideas?

- sorry for the rant, but this is getting old

Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water gets inside the insulation of the wires and corrodes the copper strands of the wire , this changes the resistance of the wire and when the resistance changes the ECM will flash the TP sensor code ,over time the copper will completely disinagrate .. I would check the wire harness for green (corroded) wire pins ...

================================================== =======================

Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

So have you seen this happen before or are you just speculating? Some can this same thing happen and cause the other error codes to throw? Thanks for the help BTW

Quick Reply: Foreman 500 error code