Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

A call to arms, of sorts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

California is a weird state as far as rules & regulations.
I think states should make their own laws and if they choose, go ahead and legalize ATV's for street use. But I'm afraid of the ramifications if they do. What if accidents involving ATV's leads to banning them? Kind of like what happened to 3-wheelers. One thing I know for sure; anytime the government gets involved, there's gonna be freedoms lost.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budedm
California is a weird state as far as rules & regulations.
I think states should make their own laws and if they choose, go ahead and legalize ATV's for street use. But I'm afraid of the ramifications if they do. What if accidents involving ATV's leads to banning them? Kind of like what happened to 3-wheelers. One thing I know for sure; anytime the government gets involved, there's gonna be freedoms lost.
The silly emissions rules get made by the AQMD....a comission composed of appointees who we don't even get to vote for, or against!!! They are now talking about making street legal motorcycles get tested for emissions evey 2 years, just like cars. Going to make it useless to mod up a motorcycle, and that is exactly what their intention is!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reconranger
You don't even need a motorcycle endorsement to ride one of those.
Didn't know that. I checked one out the other day, just to see it. Was pretty cool looking. I'd like to take one for a ride at least.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chaparral, a local dealership offers test drives on those Can-Am thingies, frequently. Again, the attraction being that you don't need a motorcycle license, so anybody (with no street motorcycle training at all....yikes!) can jump on one and go get themselves killed. I don't see many of them on the road, so clearly they are not a hot seller!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

In Oregon, within an official ATV riding area, you can usually ride the non-paved roads, but no where else.

Here they recently made these super-loud, smokey 2 stroke mini scooters street legal.

Compared to those, I'd have to say my quads would be quieter, lower emissions, and safer.

Having gone down to AZ this winter to ride with the GF's snowbirding parents, it was really cool to take the quad from their RV park over to the motel a couple of miles away, and to be able to ride up to a gas station to fill up, and to not have to trailer for only a couple miles to a trailhead.

If Oregon is going to make those junk scooters street legal, I don't see how they could justify not allowing ATV's, dirt bikes with lights, and almost anything else.

(The little scooters suddenly became less popular when DMV decided you could ride those with no driver's license, but could not ride if your status was suspended or revoked).

Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

One thing they'll have to deal with if this becomes popular in states is the tires. ATV tires are made to be soft for flotation purposes. Soft on pavement is not a good thing. It's tough to turn a quad on what little pavement we do in our area when we cross the main drag and get gas and food. The quad wants to stay straight and you have to put some oomph into it to turn. I even have a turf mode option on my rear diff that unlocks one wheel so it is one wheel drive. It would be a lot easier to turn if the tires were stiffer but that would negate the tread lightly nature of the soft ATV tires. Just a random thought.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I contacted the Ohio State Highway Patrol and was shot down almost as soon as I got the question out of my mouth! He said the only possiblity in Ohio is to contact your local state legislature and try to change the law. So, it would probably take many Ohioans (or your individual state) to really push your representitive to even take an interest in changing the current laws regarding quads. I am going to email all of my reps this evening and see if this is anything even remotely possible.
Ohio just made the 3 wheeled scooter and enclosed 3 wheeled vehicle legal for road use, and must be titled as a motorcycle. To legally operate these vehicles you must take a 3 wheeled vehicle test (not unlike a motorcycle test i assume). I've seen several of these on the streets locally and the enclosed type aren't any bigger than a quad and probably offer as much protection in a collision! The new laws regarding these vehicles are a direct result of soaring gas prices and the state of our economy.
Moose, I've seen DOT tires for quads. These are basically the supermotard tires and have decent pavement manners. But, depending on your intended usage, this may negate the use of the quad off road! I'm going a different direction with my quad as is, so this won't be an issue for me!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I sent some emails to my local legislatures over a week ago. All I've recieved is the bulk "thank you for your interest in your local government....blah blah blah". It's clear that this is not high on the priority list! Hmmm, I'll have to figure out my next step!