Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

98 450 es shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 450 es shifting problem

Hell All,

Long time reader few times poster, but i have to ask.

I have a 450 es 1998 formen and fixed it. Bought a new ECU for it and it worked great till yesterday.

Went 4 wheeling with friends part of the day and everything working fine when i went down a steep incline ditch made it to the bottom with a little mud and water in it.

When to shift to first gear and it wll not shift had to do it manually.....

I get N,1,---,---,---,5. On the display. This must mean the ECU works its just in fail mode.

Limped it back. Today i did all checks on it. Took shifting motor out and cleaned it out,there was no water in it. Shifts when i hook it up to a battery. Angle sensor out and did a test i think it working 2.5 on one pin 3.0 on another. should be 2.5 in neutral. Spin it with my hands hooked up to the meter and the singal gose from .9 to 5.5 through the range..Checked all conections and look good.....

I dont know.... washed it out and is sitting in the midwest sun drying out for the rest of the day.

Any feed back would be the most helpfull.

Thanks

Stanton

Old 05-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

Well, there are a lot of threads that already cover this problem so you can get a lot of info by searching for Foreman shifting problems. < I have used it a number of times....

1st. The angle sensor should be taken off and smothered in dielectric grease between the motor and the sensor. < I did this and it helped a ton!

2nd. If you rev too high in a gear (happened to me in 5th) for a long extended time it might freeze up to wear you can't shift down/up. When that happens you have to shut the damn thing down, and wait a sec or two and then turn the key back on and shift down while the quad isn't running.

3rd. Make sure your battery is good, mine took a crap on me and I decided to ride on it. That made it a pain in my ****. I had to "help" it shift because the battery wouldn't take a charge to save it's life so I had to shift with a wrench while pushing the shifting buttons.

I know there might be a lot more stuff out there so just try a search, or just look around. Heck, go to Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum. It gets machine specific and there are a lot of guys looking for help there too.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well i replaced the angle sensor put me back 70 dollors (OUCH) and that not it.

Took apart the hole bike and looked at all the connections. Cleaned them up,still nothing.

Bike just sitting there.Worked on it yesterday for 8 hours and got no were. ECU couldent of went out its brand new 5 months old.

Did the test on it and know getting the ECU is bad. but the old ECU shows nothing --- n ew on shows r,1,---,---,---,5 ....I dont know i give up.

Throw a match on it.

Stanton

Old 05-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Stanton21,
I am having the EXACT same problem on my 2000 450 ES. Quit working last fall and now I want to ride. I have put about 10 hours into this thing. Everything checks out OK, but my display shows exactly the same thing when I shift it manually. Just noticed that tonight. I have half the bike tore apart just to get to different connectors. I hope I can remember how it goes back together!

Have you had any luck yet finding out what's wrong?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I may have found the problem! Apparently the shift motor can give a false positive that it is working correctly. See this thread, particularly what Gimpster says.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/hond...-mechanic.html
I'm going to take my shift motor back out and try the light bulb test.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Took shifting motor out and cleaned it out,there was no water in it. Shifts when i hook it up to a battery.thread inserthelicoil