Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Trail Tech Vapor

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail Tech Vapor

How many guys have installed the vapor on the Rancher 420 and how well do you like it.

What model number did you order for the 420 how did you mount it and is the Vapor weather proof. Did you use the handle bar mount of another type of mount.

Very interested in getting one or something similar (KOSO) for my 420FM since it doesn't come with a speedo and now Wyoming is allowing ATV's on public highways and city streets. Kinda need to know the speed limit. Have been using my GPS for now, but it isn't weather proof and hate unhooking it ever time and stowing it away.

Thanks for any info.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer

i installed a vector on my 2007 trx 420fm. i wasn't sure which model to order so i emailed and asked the customer service rep to help me out. they sent one that i had a few problems with(lenght of the power supply cord was to short and had the wrong size temp. sensor sent). called them up and let them know of the issues they quickly fixed the problem and sent the proper stuff.
i have it mounted in the center of my bars. i popped the little black honda logo and fixed it to that center console. i am pleased with it to date.
the problem i have is that u need to take the wheel speed sensor off when you change front dif. oil. it is mounted on the cover.
trail tech sent along all the installation stuff so it wasn't very difficult. i would certainly get in touch with them b4 ordering. just so that they are aware of the model you have. if they do not have a specific model for you they may "put one together" for you.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

beadhead
Did you order a certain type of mount (dashboard) to use or did you fab one up. The bolts that hold on the plastic light cover are resessed down about an inch under the Honda logo cover. How did you compensate for that to mount the Vector?
Thanks for the help

Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

i popped the cover off. i am pretty sure i had to cut the honda logo off. i then bolted or screwed the vector (part #85-4025 for rancher all years) onto that plastic cover. fed the wires through the hole i cut out and then put it back into place. put a bit of glue and it stays put. i have attached a picture of what this looks like. hope this helps...

Attached Thumbnails Trail Tech Vapor-100_6569.jpg  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Thanks
That looks like a pretty good set-up. Good job.
This helps alot and again Thanks

Old 05-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

We actually run one on our 400 for MX, it is one of the best things we did. The shift light and red light are the biggest factors that we were looking for. It's hard to see the numbers but the bar graph for rpms and the lights are great, and its still holding up so they are pretty durable.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

beadhead
Thanks for all the tips. Called Trail Tech and they sent me the Vector and with your help mounted it very similar to your's, worked out great. Come to find out the guy that answered the phone at Trail Tech has relatives near our location, had a good visit.

They sent the air cooled temp sensor (one that goes under spark plug) did you use that one or call them for the coolant hose sensor? Not really a must have anyway, was mainly interested in the speedo.

What numbers did you use for calabrating the speed? And is it pretty accurate?

I used the tire size formula and come up with 1867 on my 25" Terra/Cross tires. Haven't had a chance to really see how it compares to my wifes TE model speed yet.

Again Thanks everyone for committing.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default how far did you drill threw the fill bolt to put the speedo sinsor on

Originally Posted by beadhead
i installed a vector on my 2007 trx 420fm. i wasn't sure which model to order so i emailed and asked the customer service rep to help me out. they sent one that i had a few problems with(lenght of the power supply cord was to short and had the wrong size temp. sensor sent). called them up and let them know of the issues they quickly fixed the problem and sent the proper stuff.
i have it mounted in the center of my bars. i popped the little black honda logo and fixed it to that center console. i am pleased with it to date.
the problem i have is that u need to take the wheel speed sensor off when you change front dif. oil. it is mounted on the cover.
trail tech sent along all the installation stuff so it wasn't very difficult. i would certainly get in touch with them b4 ordering. just so that they are aware of the model you have. if they do not have a specific model for you they may "put one together" for you.

how far did u drill the hole for the speedo sensor