Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

08 Rancher question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:43 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can steer some what with diff lock, when you approach a very bad section on a trail you just use diff lock long enough to get through it,once through you just put it back into 3wd or 2wd to get proper steering back once more. Dont kid yourself Diff lock will make the differance some times.
Like a winch you may not need AWD but its nice to know its there.

When 2wd fails you,then try 3wd,if that fails ,try AWD difflock,if that fails then its winch time. Diff lock is just a extra option before having to get off and drag out a cable to go tree hunting.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

There have been times where I needed a locker for my Rancher but if you just pull the front brake lever it will lock the front end and usually when you need a locker its only for a couple of feet anyway i think thats why honda dont put them on, but it would be nice to see them on a honda

Old 06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reconranger
Incorrect nonsense!!!

All Hondas for the last 10 years or so have had a very effective torque sensing differential that sends the power to the wheel with traction.
Incorrect nonsense!!!!!

Anybody who has ridien a Honda with one front wheel off the ground KNOWS that's that one thats going to spin worthlessly and no power will be sent to the wheel with traction.

I don't know why people continually defend Honda's worthless torque sensing front diff????

It works great if both front wheels have traction, more like a clutch type limited slip but lift one wheel off the ground and that's the one that's going to spin, forever.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
When 2wd fails you,then try 3wd,if that fails ,try AWD difflock,if that fails then its winch time. Diff lock is just a extra option before having to get off and drag out a cable to go tree hunting.
That about sums it up.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spectra....So obviously you are a fool for buying one.....yet here in this thread, you say you would get another one: http://forums.atvconnection.com/hond...questions.html

Feel free to keep on insulting your current and future purchases!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Spectra....So obviously you are a fool for buying one.....yet here in this thread, you say you would get another one: http://forums.atvconnection.com/hond...questions.html

Feel free to keep on insulting your current and future purchases!

Every ATV out there has it's weak points except for yours, the lousey front diff in Honda's it theirs.

At least my pride doesn’t take precedent over that fact and I just don't let my pride get in the way of knowing my ATV's weaknesses or try to convince everyone that I made the only right decision except whats right for me.

The item that tops the list is the transmission, un-parrelled by any trans in any ATV built by any manufacture. 9000 miles of mountain trails an my original brakes still have at least 75% of the original lining left, GREAT engine breaking and it's fully automatic to boot, not a bunch of mechanical gears getting slammed around by some solenoid or my foot and it does't drive like a snowmobile on wheels either.

A front locking differential is not on the top of my priority list.

I love my Honda and have zero reservations to buy another one.

As far as I'm concerned I own the greatest ATV there is on the market, both yesterday and today, even though it comes with the worst front diff on the market.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Highlifer.com....beerbellied redneck site!!!!
all i can say to that is WOW lets dont cross mr. sophistication , you should probably double check your physics and why do rock crawlers use lockers and waste all that hp when they could just use a range rover and how much power does a wheel that is not touching the ground need to turn anyway ?half ?probably not so i guess all the power is still going to the wheel with traction even with a locker

Old 06-02-2009, 08:08 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I have seen plenty of Honda,s do the front end one wheel drive thing even with both wheels on the ground.

The wheel with the less traction gets the power the other is just along for the ride.

Who cares if one wheel has 40% traction and the other has 60% and which "one of the two" is turning,the fact is that with diff lock there both going to turn "at once" no matter what or when.

How can someone call that a bad feature? You can always turn diff lock off and do the 3wd thing if you want.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by specta
incorrect nonsense!!!!!

Anybody who has ridien a honda with one front wheel off the ground knows that's that one thats going to spin worthlessly and no power will be sent to the wheel with traction.

I don't know why people continually defend honda's worthless torque sensing front diff????

It works great if both front wheels have traction, more like a clutch type limited slip but lift one wheel off the ground and that's the one that's going to spin, forever.
exactly!!! Every honda i have ever owned or ridden or have watched trying to navigate a mudhole the front tire with the least traction will spin..........recon have tou ever ridden in the mud????

Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Its more a depate about,about does the wheel with the most traction turn or the least traction turn.

Diff lock settles the depate by turning both. A Front wheel with only 40% should help the wheel with 60% from doing all the work or visa versa.