Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tire Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TLC, read my other post. I'm concerned about a slice in the tire, not a hole. Fix a flat won't fix a slice. A hole, no problem, I have a plug kit. But a slice???? That's a tough one. Especially if it's in a sidewall.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carry duct tape, so you can tape over the slice on the inside of the tire. Otherwise, the tube will just bunlge out the slice hole and be very vulnerable.

I have not had a flat in all these years, that could not be plugged and aired back up in less than a couple minutes. Never had a slice, and we do lots of rock crawling with the utes. Again, I attribute this to running great tires to start with!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, never had a slice? Ohhhh, wait, you mean TIRES....lol. Well, seriously, that is great. Maybe I'm concerned where I shouldn't be? Ok, next question: What tires are great tires? 300EX, 250EX.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Out of all the times I have been riding, we have only encountered a sliced tire once and we have rode all over the place including Utah twice.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ITP Holeshot XC's!!! ITP TIRES - The World's #1 ATV Aftermarket Tire & Wheel Source :: Holeshot XC

They are 6-ply rear and 4-ply front, and absolutely indestructible!!! I run Fix-a-Flat in them all the time, and that takes care of any little stuff like thorns. For bigger punctures like nails, I carry plugs and CO2 cartridges.

Never has a slash with these tires in thousands of miles of nasty desert riding! I have tried others occasionally over the years, but always come back to the XC's.

I also have ITP TracStars on the 250's, which ride very nice because they are radials. While they are 6-ply, they seem to be a little more vulnerable than the Holeshots. I have a few nicks on them, but nothing that threatens to penetrate the carcas. ITP TIRES - The World's #1 ATV Aftermarket Tire & Wheel Source :: Trac Star

Old 05-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

You have air, you have plugs. Just ride. If you get a slice (unlikely) you could limp home like you said. The tire is already ruined and if you damage the rim, just a little more expensive weekend. I would just put $200 aside for a rim and tire if you should happen to to open a tire up out in the field. Run what ya brung and have fun........ Go to the extremes of the tubes if you are out in the wilderness of Alaska or maybe get a spare rim and mounted tire to carry. I have a manual tire machine and it would be almost impossable to break the bead without it.

SS420

Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

I know this is off the subject but I have found out an easier way to break beads on atv tires. Just leave a couple pounds of air in it and it is a whole lot easier, the tire will not collapse. I had to change all four of mine a while back and I was letting all the air out and I could not break the bead for nothing. I tried running over it with a truck, even used a front end loader on a tractor and still would not break loose. I even bought a manual bead breaker and it still wouldn't come lose. After I left some air in them, it was a whole lot easier.

Sorry for being off subject but just wanted to get that off my chest.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by angler
I know this is off the subject but I have found out an easier way to break beads on atv tires. Just leave a couple pounds of air in it and it is a whole lot easier, the tire will not collapse. I had to change all four of mine a while back and I was letting all the air out and I could not break the bead for nothing. I tried running over it with a truck, even used a front end loader on a tractor and still would not break loose. I even bought a manual bead breaker and it still wouldn't come lose. After I left some air in them, it was a whole lot easier.

Sorry for being off subject but just wanted to get that off my chest.
Thanks for the info... I will try that next time.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default sliced on the trail

I experienced a half inch slice on a rear tire a few weekends ago and limped it back to the truck slowly. The tire is fairly new and I wanted to put an inner tube in it but Honda highly discourages this due to safety concerns.

Anyone have any input on what safety issue there may be?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default sliced on the trail

I experienced a half inch slice on a rear tire a few weekends ago and limped it back to the truck slowly. The tire is fairly new and I wanted to put an inner tube in it but Honda highly discourages this due to safety concerns.

Anyone have any input on what safety issue there may be?

Quick Reply: Tire Tubes