Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tire Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Tubes

I have 3 other people that I ride with. We'd like to carry a few tire tubes with us on the trail. I'd like to buy as few tire tubes as possible to cover all the tires we have. My questions is how many do I need? I know that tubes of the wrong size will work temporarily just to get you home. That's what I'd like to do. So, between 16 tires, the different sizes are: 20x7x8, 22x7x10, 22x11x8, 22x10x9. I'm thinking I can get one 20x7x8 to cover the 20x7x8 and one 22x10x9 to cover all the others. Will this work?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why?????

The beauty of a tubeless tire is that when it gets a puncture, you just plug it, air it up, and go on your way.....

With a tube, when it gets punctured, you are going to have to take the whole tire apart and replace it. Is breaking a bead out on the trail, your idea of fun??? Why go back to the stone age???? Get some good plugs and a source of air, and go ride!

We had a guy with a tube get a puncture last weekend. There was nothing we could do for him, but leave him there on the trail. His son had to come back for him later with a truck to rescue him.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Trailblazer

Are you talking about inner tubes? If so, how are you going to break down the tires and inflate the tubes on the trail? None of the tire stores here will breakdown a tire unless they install new ones, they say breaking them down tears them up.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Good points and I do have plugs and an air source I carry but I was thinking what if I get a slice in my tubeless tires? And yes, breaking the bead on the trail will be tough. But again, what if it's a slice? I was thinking between the 4 of us, we can eventually deal with the bead breaking rather than be stranded.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Somebody I ride with got a slice in there tire. It was bad enough it couldn't be plugged. He limped back to the nearest town with the flat tire. He put all his weight on opposite of the flat tire. It was the back tire too.

Do all four bikes have different size tires? I was going to suggest switching out tires with someone else until you got somewhere where you could fix it.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I also thought that I could shift my weight to get back. But I was wondering just how hard this is and will it ruin the rim? I'm sure the tire would be shredded by the time I got back. I dunno. I guess I'm just looking for what other people do and carry for flat tires. Luckily, we haven't had any yet but I know the time will come.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budedm
Good points and I do have plugs and an air source I carry but I was thinking what if I get a slice in my tubeless tires? And yes, breaking the bead on the trail will be tough. But again, what if it's a slice? I was thinking between the 4 of us, we can eventually deal with the bead breaking rather than be stranded.
When you put it that way, I do understand. Good luck breaking that bead!

The best insurance against a puncture or slice, is good high quality tires.

Trending Topics

Old 05-28-2009, 11:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I use to have tubes but took them out. I got a flat that a can of "Fix-A- Flat" would of took care of easily,but guess what,I find out Fix-A- Flat does not work with tubes.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, Fix a flat isn't what I want to use. But again, I wouldn't just go ahead and put tubes in my tires and ride. They would be for emergency only. Then once I got home, even if the tire is sliced, I would take the tube out and patch the tire from the inside, then put it back on without the tube if at all possible.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Fix a flat get you up in going in less then a minute,nice when the bugs are eating you alive,a tube installation would be a hassle even at home in the driveway let alone on the trail.

Quick Reply: Tire Tubes