Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

09 Rincon Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffinTD

Magazine writers on a test ride I don't think value reliability as much as someone shopping to buy one does. I know they don't value good handling and suspension as much as I do.
Folks tend to hate the magazines when they disagree with them, and love them when they agree. Me...I mostly don't believe any of it....not unlike what I read in here!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you can go add some stuff to it...

A front bumper is really nice to protect the headlights a bit, and for me a good winch is a must-have.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Both are on the list. Front bumper first. Will be easier to tie down the front that way. Than a warn with the rope instead of cable. The tires and wheels were a really nice addition (ITP rims and ITP XTR's 26"). Though I wasn't real happy that I got a hole in one. Was an easy repair though.

Jeffin, what bumper did you get for yours??

Old 06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turfguy
Though I wasn't real happy that I got a hole in one. Was an easy repair though.
First time out with our new Big Horns while unloading it out of the truck I noticed a big nail in one of the back tires. I still hate seeing the plug in the tire.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Turfguy
Jeffin, what bumper did you get for yours??
I went with the ATV Guru bumper, and a Warn XT30 (synthetic line and wireless remote).

Old 06-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, looks nice

Old 06-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks.

That Guru bumper is a bit more money, but when it arrived I was pleased. One of those things that you have to see in person to appreciate how nicely they are made... (I'm not associated with them or any ATV related business).

Next up will be Bighorns, but I want to wear the stockers out first.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

Was very impressed with the Bighorns in West Virginia. Two of the guys we rode with down there were using them. Very nice for rocky rough terrain. If I didn't hunt in a swamp, I would have a set of them myself.

The mudlite XTR's were good, but probably not the best for rock climbing. I did manage to puncture one tire though I don't think it had anything to do with the tire. It looked like I a piece of rerod or something, pretty big hole.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

Hello,

I've been eyeing the Honda Rincon for quite some time now, even before I purchased the Polaris. Can you guys tell me how this machine is on hills, technical trails, mud and fast fireroads?

I may consider selling the Polaris for the Honda, but just need some honest opinions.

Thank you!

IronBear

Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Rincon has excellent suspension. It really floats over rough trails, without being wallowy or having excess body roll on fast sweepers or side hills. They really did their homework when it comes to spring rates, damping, and the anti-sway bar.

Climbing hills it does well. It finds traction, and the throttle/power is easy to modulate.

In the mud it does OK. If you wanted a dedicated mud machine, a Rincon will require a gear down kit to run aggressive 27's or bigger.

Technical trails it does OK. The machine's biggest weakness is that it is pretty high geared and has no low range. The result is you have to use the brakes on any technical decent which requires a slow speed.

If you started down a steep hill in a Foreman or Rubicon in low, those quads would hold maybe 3 mph without using the brakes. The Rincon begins to show a bit of compression hold back at 6 mph, and a steep hill witout using the brakes would have you doing 12 or more.

It has nice brakes, but for some people not having a tractor low gear is a deal breaker, and for others it doesn't bother them. I'm somewhere in the middle in that I find it annoying, but the machine's strong points make it worth owning.

The other Rincon strong point is it has a reputation for reliability and for racking up tens of thousands of miles with just normal servicing.

Try to get a real trail ride on one before you decide. The Rincon is very different than any other ATV, and some people love them and some don't.

Quick Reply: 09 Rincon Review