Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

09 Rincon Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for responding Jeff. If I should move over to the Rincon, I would be sacrificing power output for sure, and the engine braking. My beast slows itself down, but the reliability factor is something to consider with a Honda.

I've owned many in the years, and the only thing that would hold be back is the lack of low gear, but like you said, I will need to ride one for myself, then make a decision.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think you would notice a huge difference in power compared to your XP. As far as ride and handling I think you would like the Rincon. Just feels a little sportier. Though the XP reviews on handling are really good.

All-in-all. Both machines have upsides and down. Just pick what works best for you. I went with the reliability over the other options that other brands offer. I hope it pays off in a few years.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never ridden a Rincon but would love to spend a day on one.

From all that I have read over the years it's my impression that this ATV was built for "trail riding” and covering a lot of miles in one day.

I don't think it was intended for it to be a "technical", "mudding", or made for difficult terrain but rather riding trails comfortably at a higher speed than most.

I believe it was built to ride trails fast and that's why Honda referred to it as the SUV of the ATVs.

I think it would be a perfect ATV for out here on the Paiute Trail where there are very few very difficult or extreme trails to ride but where it's easy to put over 100 miles a day on your ATV.

I don't think it's the ATV for me but I sure would like to spend a day riding one.

Here's a link to a review of the 2006 Rincon by Doug Meyer of ATVTV and he even commented that it seems to be more at home the faster you ride.

ATV Tests - 2006

Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a new 2003 Rincon back in Oct of 2002 and drove it for 2 years. Got bored with it and bought a new 2005 Suzuki 700cc KQ with EFI..

After a few miles on the Suzuki KQ, it really hit me on how much stuff I did'nt like about the Rincon.

*Horrible engine braking
*No low range
*No adjustable Shocks
*No EFI
*Leaky/Drum style brakes in the front
*Poor ground clearance
*No locking front differantial

After riding the KQ for a few months,I just could'nt understand how Honda could build their top of the line big bore ATV without addressing the above issues.

So, can somebody tell me what changes Honda has made to the Rincon to address the above issues, if any?

Thank You.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

They are now fuel injected and have disc brakes and I'm not sure about the shocks.

I don't think everyone who buys a Rincon does their home work first and ends up buying the wrong ATV.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would say that the Rincon leans toward fast riding over rough trails, but it can be used as a mudder and for technical riding. There are other machines that lean toward technical riding and mud.

Honda was slow at getting rid of the drum brakes, but they finally did. Their limited slip front dif does a pretty good job, but like all such systems it can be slow to react in some situations (BRP can sometimes really exibit this). Shocks still aren't adjustable.

In 06 when they switched to EFI and disk brakes, they also changed the oil passages in the transmission and changed the shift points. It now doesn't require as long of a warm up in freezing weather to shift well, and it downshifts more aggressively when you chop off the throttle. There's still no engine braking below about 6 though.

Overall, for riding like East Fort Rock and Millican area, there's no other machine I'd rather be on. Riding there is strewn with loaf of bread size rocks, and you can easily rack up 100 mile days back to back.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Even way back in 2003 when Honda first introduced the Rincon, the trail rides were very smooth with this machine.

Im pleased to see Honda move this model up to EFI and add disk brakes, but I still would not give up the power and other features that my Can Am 800 has for even the new model Rincon.

But as allready mentioned, each rider has his/her own style of riding/preferences, and thats why its so nice to be able to choose from so many differant ATVs that best fits your riding style.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Specta

I don't think everyone who buys a Rincon does their home work first and ends up buying the wrong ATV.
That's why I bought an 09 Rubicon. Rode both and changed my mind from Rincon to a Rubicon. Tranny and adjustable shocks pulled me towards the Ruby.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Im pleased to see Honda move this model up to EFI and add disk brakes
I though the Rincon always had rear disk brakes,cant even see how you could mate old drums brakes up with a IRS rear end it would look very odd.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

If the Rincon had the same trans as the Rubicon then it might just be my next ATV.

The trans in the Rubicon is assembled in a clean room in Japan and is non serviceable and expensive.

Honda wanted a trans that could be serviced by technicians without having to be replaced and you know Honda isn't going to use a belt so they had to come up with another automatic, and that's why the Rincon has a automotive style 3-speed trans.

I think for the style of riding that Honda intended for the Rincon it's a great transmission.

Quick Reply: 09 Rincon Review