Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Replacing a '01 250 EX clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a '01 250 EX clutch

Hello all, I am a new member and long time veiwer. Thanks for the years of helpful information. My son burned out the clutch on his 250 EX last trip to the dunes. I tried to adjust the adjuster nut but it only got worse. It really slips pretty good. I am sure that years of duning with paddles has taken its toll on the little auto clutch. My qustion is how hard is it to replace the plates (I have done many manual units) and springs? I have a manual on the bike but after reading it, I am a little daunted. If I decide to have someone else do it, how expensive should it be? Can I buy a Barnett Kit for it to help with longevity in the future?
Thanks again and sorry for the long post.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Honda Replacing a 01' 250 EX clutch

Originally Posted by TerraMax
Hello all, I am a new member and long time veiwer. Thanks for the years of helpful information. My son burned out the clutch on his 250 EX last trip to the dunes. I tried to adjust the adjuster nut but it only got worse. It really slips pretty good. I am sure that years of duning with paddles has taken its toll on the little auto clutch. My qustion is how hard is it to replace the plates (I have done many manual units) and springs? I have a manual on the bike but after reading it, I am a little daunted. If I decide to have someone else do it, how expensive should it be? Can I buy a Barnett Kit for it to help with longevity in the future?
Thanks again and sorry for the long post.
If you've replaced the clutch on a manual you won't have a problem replacing the clutch plates on a semi manual model it's really easier than a manual clutch quad you just have to keep a close eye on the disasemly of the the clutch , i've done both with and without a manual in fact using a manual is more confusing for me than without one ; i just remove the everything and stack the clutch in the order it came apart !

I ran my own shop over 20 + years so it was easier for me since i had some machines brought to me in peices from people who tried to do it themselves before bringing the units to me after they couldn't remember how to resemble them , now this was really when you wish you had a good Factory O.E.M. Service And Repair Shop manual but i always got them back together only ( took longer to do so ) especially when it was one i hadn't done before ; but i don't think it would be as hard as you think since you have experious doing the manual clutch unit's !

And if the manual you have isn't an O.E.M. Honda Service And Repair Shop Manual then that's what is most likely what is the thing that's confusing you into having your doubt's about doing the work yourself , these Cilton , Haynes and other off brand manual's carry info on more that one model and size quad's in most case's that can really have you pulling out your hair trying to follow instruction's ; like i.ve stated above if you keep a close eye on how it's taken apart reasembly shouldn't be a problem !

williebee............

Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forums (officially)! Good luck with the plates, and let us know how it turns out!!