Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

all 400ex owners please read and check your quad

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity....Why +12 on the rear end?

I can see +12 on the swing if your drag racing...Is that what you meant?

Old 02-19-2001, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

I'm really surprised no Raptor owner has replied!! ahahahahaha.

This is rather scary. If you didn't give a look, it would have broken and caught you by surprise...not really good.

Krypton sells the cheapest AArms (I can't remember the exact price...from 389$ I think).

+12" rear...is that width (like you seem to say) or +12 length swingarm?

My machine isn't a 400EX, but I'll be checking it soon (before the riding season starts again).

Old 02-19-2001, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Yea actually when I posted this topic I figured i would catch some crap from some raptors. Anyway, I have a +4" axel, the tires are 12" wide (2 inches wider than stock, each) and 2" offset rims. So basically a 4" axel, 4" wider tires, and 4" rims. Well I thought I would try my luck today and went riding anyway. Didnt ride really hard, but was crossing a fallen tree and it broke on off. Its ok cause I doubled up with a hot girl for the rest of the day. Will I have to get my shocks revalved if i get the 2+2 a-arms? And how much does revalving cost?

Old 02-20-2001, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

hey, i have to thank you man
after reading this post i just went out in the garage and looked. my 440ex is cracked all the way around the lower left shock mount. exactly where u said to look.
i had to crack it when i broke my arm about 8 months ago. when i landed really hard on the left side and jared my arm and broke it. i didnt think nothing happend to my 4wheeler because it never flipped or anything. but now that i go outside and see that the whole a-arm is on the last thread. thanx alot man

Old 02-20-2001, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Hey no problem man, glad to know I helped. Do you think if someone re-welded that it would hold? My is pretty bad so im almost positive i got to get new ones. Maybe someone from honda headquarters is reading this and they ought to note that and try to fix it. This is pretty dangerous, could cause i serious accident at high speeds.

Old 02-20-2001, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

hey
im going to take mine to a shop here in my home town and talk to the guy about it. hopfully he will tell me that he can just weld it and it will be fine. i just got done looking at it and the swing-arms are really thin. its cracked on both sides of the shock mount. when i pick the front end up and hit it on the ground, it makes a clicking noise where it is cracked. so it is deffintly on its last thread. luckily it didnt break yesterday. i ride every weekend and had no idea that it was cracked.
thanx again.
ill get back with you and tell you if it can be welded or if im going to have to buy a new swing-arm.

Old 02-22-2001, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't actually had this happen to my quad (it's a 99') I have a friend that bought a 2000 and we race MX and Stadium and there were many places ,including the lower shock mounts, that had bad welds. I can tell you from experience that if you ride hard your 400ex will break right above the shock mount box on the front. It will shear the tubes right off the top of the shockmount box that goes between the two shocks. I saw that exact thing happen to a guys 2000 400ex and it destroyed his frame. If that happens when you are riding you could get hurt bad and you will have to buy a new frame. The best thing to do is reinforce it. There are critical locations where the 400ex frame is prone to cracks and breaks that need to be gusseted. If anyone is curious where to reinforce your frame e-mail me at gym_man2@hotmail and I will explain it to you in detail so you can get the problem fixed before you get hurt or end up having to buy a new frame. Good luck!!!!!

Old 02-22-2001, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

Your not alone. I broke my stock swingarm into three pieces. They are totally hopeless unless you run TT or flattrack they will absolutely not hold up to aggressive MX or Stadium riding. Also, I hate to say, but I don't think you can have it welded. I had a machine shop TIG weld mine it cost $100 and the next day at the race it only lasted 1 lap of practice and it was back in 3 pieces.

Old 02-22-2001, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Definately check those upper shock mounts. I know of at least 5 400EX's around here, including mine, that have cracks in the paint around those welds. None that I know of are malformed or falling off, but the cracks in the paint indicate a stress point.