Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 bear tracker no fire

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 bear tracker no fire

Im new to the forum and before i joined I have read several different posts on this forum as well as others. I have an 01 bear tracker. Lil bit of history on the bike i got it from the original owner ive known him longer than hes had the bike every year he has had a shop here in town come pick it up as well as another he had just like it and have them serviced. His kids were grown so quit using them and it had been sitting for three years after being serviced. Had to replace needle and the seat it goes in. Ran fine for a month then lost a little power then just wasnt getting fire. Over the last two months ive slowly bought parts and tried everything replaced the coil, then cdi, now stator and pickup coil i figure may as well have an almost new bike. But still no spark. There is a relay that one wire from the cdi box goes to cant trace the other three and the stealership cant tell me what the relay is for or what its called so i dont want to spend $45 if i dont have to. Only other thing i can think of is key switch. Ive checked all wiring connections multiple times. What else can i check or what could it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated this is drivin me nutzzz

Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

go to tradebit.com and get yourself a factory service repair manual. Best 10 you will ever spend

Old 05-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive read parts of manuels not necessarily that particular one but nothing comes close to the problems im having ive even tried swapping the pickup coil wires. Im gettin the spec ohms from the pickup just no fire at plug so somewhere there is a problem between pickup n plug

Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Dr in a box

Are you getting power?

Old 06-23-2015, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by traumajunkie
Are you getting power?
Still not getting any spark at the plug havent had time to tear it apart and follow all the wires to check them but did find a wiring diagram that showed the wires from the relay which dont appear to have anything to do with my problem

Old 09-24-2015, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your neutral light working? You probably already checked but if not look and see if the wire connector has came off neutral switch assembly. It is just below the shift shaft. It will be a single wire lead with a slip on connector.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by kad4233
Is your neutral light working? You probably already checked but if not look and see if the wire connector has came off neutral switch assembly. It is just below the shift shaft. It will be a single wire lead with a slip on connector.
The neutral light is working and everything checks out on the new parts i bought the cdi on amazon but it had no warranty my brother in law ordered it first one he seen. Im going to order a new key switch and a cdi box that has a warranty it has to be a bad cdi.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You don't get a warranty with a CDI. If you fit it to a bike with a faulty earth or one that is overcharging, you will destroy it, no maker wants to pay out on claims from people who may not do the checks before fitting. Iv'e just had one fail after three weeks on a Honda 300, checked everything before and after fitting, so fairly sure it was a faulty new CDI, I don't expect any refunds though.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
You don't get a warranty with a CDI. If you fit it to a bike with a faulty earth or one that is overcharging, you will destroy it, no maker wants to pay out on claims from people who may not do the checks before fitting. Iv'e just had one fail after three weeks on a Honda 300, checked everything before and after fitting, so fairly sure it was a faulty new CDI, I don't expect any refunds though.
Thanks for the reply. And i didnt check the stator before changing the cdi but i did after changing it as i found out how to test it after changing the cdi and old stator the ohms checked out fine on it but doesnt mean much. Im not familiar with the electrical systems. Just goin by the specs inpulled up. Im trying to find someone close to me that has a bike that uses the same cdi and see if i can plug mine into their bike to test it.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The tests are on the stator for ohms and if it is shorting to earth. The coil for ohms, the feed from ignition live, the earth, the trigger coil ohms, and any lockouts, that's why you need a manual. The most important for the health of your CDI is the earth, dire warnings are on the instructions with new ones that you must have the earth wire fitted to the CDI before even turning the crankshaft.