Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Questions for you Rubicon owners..

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for you Rubicon owners..

I just purcahsed a new to me 2007 TRX500FA Rubicon in the camo finish. The machine is like new with 150 miles, 38 hours on it, approx.
I was wondering what oil you guys use in your Rubicon's that I can purchase locally.
I have had real good luck with Shell Rotella synthetic as well as regular Shell Rotella 15w-40 in the other atv's I have owned. I ran the Shell synthetic in my 05 Rancher with a manual transmission but this being an auto tranny, I was wondering if i should use something specific. The original owner has failed to give me the owner's manual but I have a factory service manual coming in today so I know nothing about the specifics as far as normal maintenance.
I know I can go to the Honda shop and purchase Honda oil but I feel it's no better than the Shell or any other well known brand of oil and I don't want to order some high dollar oil off the web. I want to be able to purchase locally.

What do you run in your Rubicon?

Also, anything I should watch out for as far as problems unique to the Rubicon plus can one explain the difference in performance as far as D1 and D2 go?

Richard

Old 07-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

I HAVE ALSWAYS USED HONDA GN 4 IN MINE but theres alot of other oils you can run.....as far as d1 d2 and esp......d1 will keep the rpms up it will shift at higher rpms and have better engine braking.....d2 will do the opposit .....i use esp when i am working it or running it hard thru the woods/mud

Old 07-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Minimum oil requirements are API rating SG or higher, and JASO rating MA. I wouldn't use anything that doesn't have both of those ratings.

The JASO rating is motorcycle specific, for machines that have a clutch that runs in oil. The Rubicon does have a centrifugal clutch that runs in oil.

Don't use anything with moly, or PTFE. It will ruin the clutch. Should not say energy conserving on the logo.

10W40 works in normal temps, but you would want to adjust if you are going to be riding in cold winters.

That hydrostat drive generally lives a very long life, but is expensive, so I'd keep it serviced and I'd highly recommend Honda filters, and a good quality motorcycle specific API SG, JASO MA oil.