Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda mechanic help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda mechanic help

In a previous thread I told my story of how my rear yolk/u-joint failed causing the output shaft of the motor to bend and cracked the case.

Since then I removed the engine and took it to my Dealer for repair as the motor had to be completly dissasembled adn the cases split, and got it back last week. I now have the engine reinstalled and the bike reassembled.

2 Problems (that were not there before)

First, the reverse & neutral lights are lit up all the time no matter what gear is selected. Everything works OK, but when you shift to neutral all the lights & display go out (bike stays running - but wont restart if shut off) and the 15amp fuse blows.

If I unplug the Reverse/Neutral saftey switch comming from the motor the 2 lights stay on all the time as before, but the fuse does not pop when you shift to reverse.

2nd problem is that the bike is idling too high, turning the idle adjuster **** on the carb does not fix it, and the carb is seated well on the motor & airbox side boots. The carb was cleaned just prior to the bike breaking down & and at that time was running perfect. The carb was sealed in a plastic bag while the bike was dissasembled, no jets were changed.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The neutral & reverse switches work by grounding .. It sounds like the wire/s are grounded somewhere either grounded / shorted / crossed somewhere .. If the indicators stay lit even with the gear position coupler dis-connected then the problem must be somewhere on the frame .. You can test the gear position switch with an ohm meter ..

If the idle screw won't slow the engine down and the intake boot/o'ring are good and it's not sucking air then possibly the throttle cable is hooked on something or is out of place .. Does the thumb lever have a little play in it , if not I would check the cable ..

Old 07-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Great tips, thanks for the help, it gives me direction in where to look for both problems!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Just wanted to post again to say thanks to Honda Mechanic, and to post what I found the problems to be.

First the electrical gremlin. After checking all the wiring with no success, I laid the rear fender plastics back in place to see if I could jog my memory. It was then I realised that I had plugged the connector for the reverse/neutral switch into the plug for the Carb Heater! I remembered this from having taken the cab off for cleaning a couple months ago. Sure enough, when I switched the 2 everthing worked perfect.

The high idle was caused by the throttle cable being twisted so it had no freeplay, so I removed it from the carb, & reinstalled it and its working great!

Thanks Again, glad to be back on the trails!