Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Thinking about buying a 250x. Seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 250x. Seeking advice

I'm looking at a 250x. Owner states that the chain won't stay tight and it's come off and cracked the case cover. From reading, this seems like a somewhat common problem caused by worn bushings on the swing arm.

The case is fixed with JB weld at the moment.

I haven't seen the bike in person yet, but it appears to be in otherwise good condition.

Does $500 seem like a reasonable price?

Also, if I can find a new case cover, is this major surgery to replace?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Case cover isn't hard to replace, but JB weld will hold. The chain could be coming off for a few reasons. Bad rear axle bearings, worn sprockets, worn chain, bad swingarm pivot bearings, bent axle. All of these are easy, not too expensive fixes, except for a bent axle. This can be quite expensive unless you can find a used one. Also, almost all parts from a 300EX, any year, will interchange with the 250X. It's a great bike. $500 is ok if it isn't too bad. Make sure the engine and tranny are good.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

I bought one with the exact same issues this spring for $450. My chain came off a week ago and hit the side cover and busted the JB weld, and all the oil leaked out, luckily i think i caught it in time and had a buddy tow me back. I'm going to pick up a used rear bearing carrier for about $50, and try to JB weld the side cover again and see how it holds, i'll pick up the side cover if i can some time just to have it though... Its a real easy thing to take the side stator cover off though, just be careful not to over tighten the bolts...

Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by budedm
All of these are easy, not too expensive fixes, except for a bent axle.
Is there a reasonably reliable way to check if the axle is bent? I'm assuming it's just a matter of jacking up the back and seeing if it turns true?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, that's the easiest way to tell if it's horribly bent, but it's hard to tell if it's just a little bent that way. The best way is to remove the axle and roll it on 2 v-blocks with an indicator in the center. Seeing how this will be impossible for you, take both rear wheels and hubs off. Put a sturdy jackstand or 2 under the swingarm, start the bike, put it in 1st or 2nd gear and let it idle. This should roll the axle slow enough for you to get a good look at each end. Make sure the bike is stable and the only thing moving is the axle. However, if the axle bearings are bad, this is not a good test because the bad bearing will cause wobble in the axle as it turns.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone!

Last question (I promise)

Owner is saying that the problem seems to be the rear axle bearings.

Do I need special tools for that? If I buy this, I'll definitely get a shop manual, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how much money I'm going to have to invest to get this ready for some summer fun.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the rear bearring with a new carrier on ebay for $110.00 . That would be the best way to do it . If someone rode it very long with bad bearrings it probably wore into the carrier and messed it up . Changing it isnt to bad just use a manual if you dont know how .If I had to guess I would say the rear bearrings are shot along with the carrier if the chain is coming off . But It could be the chain is worn also . Hold the grab bar and rock the quad to the left and then to the right a couple of times if you hear a clunking noise it's the bearrings .If it seems to be tight with no noise it might be the chain and sprockets . If it makes a clunking sound ask how long the quad was rode like that . Sometimes people ride on worn bearring and mess up the axle to . If the bearring ate into the axle thats another $100.00 to $ 150.00 expense . If the bike runs good its worth $500.00 . But if it has rear end problems you could be in for another $300.00 just in parts . Parts are pretty reasonable except for the fenders they are expensive . So if you are very picky on how it looks keep that in mind . Tires are also pricey . hope this helped

Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

No special tools are needed to replace the rear bearings. You can buy a rear bearing kit which includes all bearings, o-rings, and seals for about $40.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a 1992 250x, I don't think the kid before me did much maintenance, since the chain was real loose and it was adjusted back as far as it could go and there was no master link (had to break it off), I suspect it was the OEM chain.

Anyhow, being that it's a '92 should I expect some rear end problems soon? It seems like a lot of these machines have bearing or bushing issues. Mine seems fine it's just "squeaky"

Old 07-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

Rear bearing replacement is a normal wear item. It's not unusual for guys to replace them once a year depending on usage. It's a relatively easy job and under $50. The squeaks are more than likely your shock. Take it off so you can turn it upside down and shoot some lube in it. It also might be a good idea to take all the pivots abart and check and grease them with waterproof grease. The a arms, the swingarm, all the shocks, etc. Get a manual. All that stuff I mentioned should take 8 hours.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 250x. Seeking advice