Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

91 trx 300 fw electrical problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 91 trx 300 fw electrical problem...

Hello all...

I am new to this site and must say there seems to be a wealth of information available here. I stumbled on this site looking for an answer to my problem.

As the title says, I have a 91 trx 300 fw. My problem seems to be in my charging/starting circut(s). Intermitantly it wont start with the main fuse connected. If I disconnect it and kick start it it runs great. If I try to connect it when its running, it will die. Then other times it will kick start just fine with the main fuse connected.

Also main fuse connected or disconnected, I have no power coming or going from my battery. I tried to jump it from my truck (batt was dead)and still no power. When hooked to my truck or not, when I push the start button...nothing. No lights unless its running either. But again, it will run all the time with the main fuse disconnected, sometimes with it connected. With it running my neutral light is on, oil temp light comes on then off as it always did, lights work.

I have a Clymer Manual so the things I have tested: Ensure good ground on neg batt cable, tested inputs to alarm box, batt (holds a charge), starter solenoid(also while testing the soleniod I hooked back up to the starter and it turned the motor over like it usually did), stator(new), pulse gen(new), CDI box(new),ignition switch, starter switch, stop switch.

The only thing I feel I have not tested that is in this problem area is the rectifier. But if it runs then shouldnt it be ok also?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as clear as possible as to what is going on.
Thanks for any help you all can provide with this!!!

Old 08-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, and welcome! sounds like you have some bad cables. i suggest you clean them up real good. you might stumble into your problem while cleaning them. good luck!

Old 08-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a thought but pulling the fuse wouldnt that dis arm the alarm system? if so most alarms are desined to keep things from starting and or running. i would try unhooking just the alarm and see what happins could just be going bad .
worth a try

Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the ideas guys...
I have a brand new neg. batt. cable, and I did try cleaning all the connections on the positive cables. No luck there.

I tried pulling the alarm box. Still no power to anything, but it did kick start. I then reconnected the main fuse with it running and it died. I reconnected the alarm box and it started without the main fuse in. The neutral light was on, and the oil temp did its brief on then off. While the alarm box was removed I tested the inputs per the repair manual I have and they all tested fine. So no luck here either.

When I get time maybe tommorow I will see if there is a rectifier test in the book and check it also. I was told by a guy at work that a rectifier converts ac to dc. I know that a batt is dc, so if that is correct then it would seem that at least part of my ac/dc conversion side is working.

SOOOO...it seems to me (unless I am missing something) that is the last thing left.

Any other ideas or education someone could add is as always appreciated!!!

The following users liked this post:
terniatv60 (10-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just an update for anyone is following this...
I finally had a chance the other day to test my rectifier and it was bad. I went to the local atv salvage yard and found another one that tested good, and it now runs perfect...for now anyway.
Thank you wheily and momo951 for your ideas.

The following users liked this post:
terniatv60 (10-04-2021)