Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex ... How often should you change your oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex ... How often should you change your oil?

As the title states, how often should you change your oil? Also, is there any frequent maintenance that should be done? air filter? Thanks

Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air filter...when it gets moderately dirty. I have 3 for each quad. One in use, one clean and oiled up and ready to go, and one in the wash. I run ProDesign (ProFlow) air filters and use UNI filter oil.

It is the "thumper" engines like the 450's that need very frequent oil changes. The 400EX is "old school" and has a well sealed combustion chamber, so it does not get the fuel dilution of the oil that a thumper does. So, you can neglect it a little, without terrible consequences. For this engine, at around 10+ hours I start thinking about an oil change. Keep in mind that I ride extremely dusty conditions. I highly suggest an ester based synthetic performance oil like Redline or Maxima Extra/Ultra/530MX.

The other major thing is valve adjustments! Do not neglect those!

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/l...beNews2002.pdf

http://www.belray.com/scripts/future...6-e27066d0d02a

Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Get a manual!!! It will tell you all the things you need to know about your quad other than oil changes. Some of them are VERY important!!

I'm pretty sure Honda does not recomend 10 hour oil changes on the 400.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo

I'm pretty sure Honda does not recomend 10 hour oil changes on the 400.
For this model, Honda recommends 100 hour oil changes, which is nucking futs! I know that if I changed my oil on any quad or dirt bike that I have ever owned at 100 hours, it would be the color and consistency of chocolate syrup!!!!

Every manufacturer has a vested interest in presenting their vehicles as being "low maintenance", so all those maintenance intervals in every owner's manual are absolutely unrealistic! They are based on conditions like no dust, easy cruiser riding, etc.....that do not exist in the real world for anyone who rides hard offroad.

If you do maintenance to often it will hurt absolutely nothing. But if you don't do it often enough.......

Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Every manufacturer has a vested interest in presenting their vehicles as being "low maintenance", so all those maintenance intervals in every owner's manual are absolutely unrealistic! They are based on conditions like no dust, easy cruiser riding, etc.....that do not exist in the real world for anyone who rides hard offroad.
I find it very telling that you think the manual is the bible for everything.........but you know way more than Honda engineers when it comes to oil.

For this model, Honda recommends 100 hour oil changes, which is nucking futs! I know that if I changed my oil on any quad or dirt bike that I have ever owned at 100 hours, it would be the color and consistency of chocolate syrup!!!!
If you oil was the consistency of "chocolate syrup" is sounds to me you need to do more maintence on the air cleaner. Maybe your 400 needs a rebuild because of blow-by?
My "car" oil looks just fine after 100hrs. Not only that, unlike you, I "KNOW" it's fine because I sent it off to a leb to tell me so. Blackstone tells me I'm doing the correct thing.

To the OP. Buy a manual and follow it. Don't listen to people that change their oil on the trail.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
I find it very telling that you think the manual is the bible for everything.........but you know way more than Honda engineers when it comes to oil.

If you oil was the consistency of "chocolate syrup" is sounds to me you need to do more maintence on the air cleaner. Maybe your 400 needs a rebuild because of blow-by?
My "car" oil looks just fine after 100hrs. Not only that, unlike you, I "KNOW" it's fine because I sent it off to a leb to tell me so. Blackstone tells me I'm doing the correct thing.

To the OP. Buy a manual and follow it. Don't listen to people that change their oil on the trail.

The typical BS that I can always expect from you....yet once again!!!! You are an expert at skirting issues with all kind of obfuscation designed simply to confuse everyone. What single thing did you suggest that will help the original poster in any practical way????

Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

well...i changed mine when i first got it at 10, thats what honda said, then after thaat every 20 hours. Im absolutly positive that you cant let it run for 100 hours and not change the oil and not have anything wrong with it...

also recon is a smart guy ^^^ but you have to be open to peoples opinions gentlemen!!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by Sotexy2
well...i changed mine when i first got it at 10, thats what honda said, then after thaat every 20 hours. Im absolutly positive that you cant let it run for 100 hours and not change the oil and not have anything wrong with it...

also recon is a smart guy ^^^ but you have to be open to peoples opinions gentlemen!!
In science, "opinions" are useless! Please keep your oil in there for 100 hours and then do a UOA and let us know how it went! Also, keep track of any "makup oil" that you have to add along the way to keep the oil volume up.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

If the manual says 100 hours between changes, I think either 1. Honda wants to sell you a new ATV because yours will be trash or 2. It's a misprint.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

haha

Quick Reply: 400ex ... How often should you change your oil?