Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Thinking about Upgrading to Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '00 RancherES 4x4 and it's an OK bike. I'm not disappointed but I wish it had more power (who doesn't?!?) The only thing with the ES is "popping" and riding wheelies....I haven't figured a way to do it yet (or at least I haven't found a way that doesn't seem like it's tearing up the engine or transmission) as there is no clutch control like there is with an S model.
Overall, it's a good bike...if you like the RECON, you should love the Rancher.

Hope this helps....

Old 03-01-2001, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

I've ridden both the recon and 4x2 rancher (mine). You'll find that the recon will wheelie a little better that the rancher, but with a little practice you'll not have any problems getting it up (just take a firm tug). The nice part about the rancher is that from 0-45mph it is very quick and you will often find yourself up shifting while climbing hills. Definitely go with the ES. It will take you about 20min to get used to it and then you will not want to go back to the manual shift. Also if you want the rancher to really perk up you can get the "Highlifter" Monster Performance Kit. It will give you a new exhaust, K&N filter, Jet Kit, Spark Plug.

00' rancher 4x2es, 26x12 Mudrunners on the rear, 1500lb winch w/ 50ft cable, herculined rack

Old 03-01-2001, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Good topic. The ES Rancher sells for $200 more than the non ES model. The electric shift has had a few issues, I have over 1000 miles & zero problems. The floor boards are great for keeping most of the mud & water off of you. The digital dash is worth the extra money by its self. There is a speedometer, trip meter, & hour meter, & clock.

The Recon can keep up with the Rancher for a short distance then the Rancher will start to pull away. The Recon has a top speed of around 45 or so, & our Rancher (4X4) about 51.

The better & more suspension than on the Recon. Of course an extra 100cc of power.

You won't be disapointed in a new Rancher. Its a tough choice between the 2wd or 4wd version. This past weekend I rode with a 2wd Rancher that had some Titan 589's tires. This guy went EVERYWHERE the 4X4's went with the exception of 1 mud hole. I was impressed!

Let us know what you do.

Old 03-01-2001, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

about popping a wheelie on a rancher 4x4 its possible. my friend has done it. first go in reverse until ur rolling but not that fast, then quickly kick it in to 1st gear and floor it , u will pop up ive done it before, ive even done it on a foreman es

Old 03-01-2001, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

lmao that sounds like its veryyyyyy good for the bike!

Old 03-01-2001, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

I find it hard to believe that the ability of as machine to "Pop a wheelie" is even dicussed or criteria being considered before purchasing.

Old 03-02-2001, 09:20 AM
Range Rover

UTAH RANCHER,
I HAVE BEEN THINKING THE SAME THING FOR MONTHS NOW. WHENEVER IM READING ONE OF THESE POSTS PEOPLE TALK ABOUT POPING F'N WHEELIES. WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS KIDS 6TH GRADE! DONT GET ME WRONG. IF YOU WANT TO DO WHEELIES BUY A CR OR ANY GOOD 2 STROKE BIKE. NOW THATS WHAT YOU CALL DOING WHEELIES NOT ON A QUAD!

Old 03-02-2001, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

I just read down through this post and was wondering when someone would ask about the wheelie thing on a utility quad. I'm an engineer and from the aspect of these machines actually performing toward their intended design and to transfer controlled power to the ground, wheelies are a bad thing. If the machine is using it's energy to lift the front end off the ground, it's not using it to accelerate, to pull, to force it's way through mud or up a hill, or to provide tight contact for better controlled steering. Asking a utility quad to pop wheelies is a lot like asking if a kitchen knife makes a good screwdriver. If wheelies are important, then get a sport quad, not a Rancher.

Old 03-02-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Good Grief at the Hostility!!!! I agree that wheelie's are not what a utility quad is made for; but if the man wants to know if the front end will lift up on a machine I feel that anyone with this experiance should tell him. I don't feel that the rancher's ability to wheelie is reason enough to make a buying decision, but everyone is entiled to their own opinions.
The front of my 2wd rancher will lift up but it does take effort, timing, and precision to do it. And with the 26" Mudrunners on the rear of mine the power is firmly transfered to the ground.

00' rancher 4x2es, 1500lb winch, 26x12 mudrunners, herculined rack

Old 03-02-2001, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

i currently own 3 quads, 2 are hondas and they are a 2000 rancher es 2x4 and a 2001 400ex.
the rancher is nowhere near the machine power wise as the 400ex, off the top of my head a rancher has about 8-11 hp and the 400ex has 28-32. the rancher weight 500+ lbs and the ex is under 400.
so what you were wondering...the rancher has been a great machine, i did have the mounting bracket break on my however before it was recalled, they fixed it now and im happy. you can pop a wheelie in gear on a paved surface or you can put it in 3rd gear, floor it and click down to 2nd gear and get a big wheelie. if oyu woanted to do wheelies i woudl reccomend a sport quad because the rancher wasnt designed for that. the rancher has also been racalled again for putting in stronger clutch plates, mainly on the es from when people would hold the ags and shift it (like poping wheelies) the replace the clutch for free, i hae done wheelies and the original clutch hasnt broken on me yet. i have a total of 1190 miles and 164 hours on it and it still runs great. for its weight (remember im comparing to a 400ex) it has pretty good handling characteristics.
so overall the rancher is a pretty nice package, i liek the fact that it has an lcd, full floorboards, tank mounted gas gauge and the fan, it also has a button on then side of the engine you can mash to prime for cold starts. i would reccomned the rancher.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Upgrading to Rancher