Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Thinking about Upgrading to Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1999 Recon and have been very happy with it. It does everything I need it to do, but the Rancher came out about 4 months after I bought it. It is peppy for its size, but I am used to having something with a little more power(IT400 dirt bike). Is the Rancher as fun to ride as the Recon? Can you ride a wheelie as easy as I can on the Recon? I want a 2wd and am debating between a manual and the ES. I have always had a foot shifter, but like all the goodies(floorboards, digital display, and fan) that come with the ES. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2001, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

I rode my brother in laws 2000 trx250 (canadian version of the recon)and found it to be very light in the front end,but not uncontrollable as you may well know.I found my bike quite stable when you punched the gas not lifting off the ground or anything and thats fine with me.My bike being a 4x4 helps keep the front end down.Maybe we could hear from 2x4 owners on this issue?As far as all the gadgets,that is why I bought the FourTrax 350FE.You wont be disappointed in your decision.

2001 FourTrax 350FE
A2000 Warn winch
Garmin Etrex GPS

Old 02-21-2001, 07:50 PM
Range Rover

Can't help you with the wheelie stuff as I haven't really tried yet. Otherwise my 2wd ES is plenty sporty enough for me, but this comes from a 50-yr-old who hasn't yet ridden anything faster. But get the ES--the hr meter, odometer etc is neat. And my feet stayed dry crossing a stream while my son on a Recon got soaked. Good thing it was summer!
If snowshark sees this he might be able to give you an idea of the performance differences in 2wd & 4wd Ranchers.

Old 02-21-2001, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

Love my 2wd Rancher. My suggestion is to do what you are doing right now, research and get user opinions. I personally recommend the ES, and for $200 to get it, even better.

I know my 2wd can just about anywhere the 4x4 can, except possibly mudding or highly technical places. And I do not plan to ride in deep mud or up slushy inclines. I ride for fun and on mostly hard pack logging trails to get to my favorite fishin spots on the rivers. Plus, I have added nimble steering and great handling, things you don't get with 4x4 due to weight and differntial stiffness in steering.

Now I am not picking on $x$, every ATV has it's uses, just base your decision on what type of riding you will do...my bet is the 2wd is ample to get the job done, and much more fun.

Type in "honda rancher" in any search engine and look for some reviews on it, it should make the decision for you.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Old 02-22-2001, 06:59 AM
Trailblazer

uhlme,

My rancher 4x4es and recon were delivered last night about 6pm. I took both for a 45min run. I bought the rancher for me and love its power and cappability to go through our deep Mass. snow. For the extra 200$ you cant beat the great lcd display,floor boards,and es. BUT, that little recon was more fun than i could of ever imagined. What a bike! Like i said i bought the rancher for me because i do a lot of hunting and plan on having it for along time.You wont be sorry you bought one.Also i wouldnt get rid of that recon either. Since we just got the bikes last night I think my wife will end up driving the rancher on occasion so i can rip on her recon. GOODLUCK!

Old 02-23-2001, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all of your replies and advice. I am going to look at and ride a 2wd ES Saturday.

Old 02-23-2001, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Had a Recon, Traded it on a Rancher. I don't regret that I just wich I would have kept the Recon as well.

Old 02-28-2001, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why do you wish you had kept your Recon?

Old 03-01-2001, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

The Recon had a lot of zip for a 250. It was light weight, powerful, and 2 wheel drive. You could take it and do donuts in about any conditions, where as my Rancher 4X4 is not the same.

It got great gas milage ram as fast as my Rancher and was just a fun bike. If I woul dhave kept it my wife could have ridden with me, or oterh friends without quads, and as my daughters got older it would have proven to be a great bike for them.

Don't get me wrong, the Rancher is an awesome bike, and I do not regret getting it. I just wish I would have kept the Recon for the above stated reasons.

Old 03-01-2001, 12:27 PM
Range Rover

HONDAHUNTER,
FOR THE REASONS YOU MENTIONED I BOUGHT THE RANCHER FOR ME AND THE RECON FOR HER. I LOVE THAT RECON I WILL HAVE TO ADMIT. THE ONLY DRAWBACK TO IT IS THAT IT IS COLD BLOODED, BUT I KNEW THAT BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. I PROBABLY WONT LOG AS MUCH TIME ON WHEN I GET THE UNLOCKER FOR MY RANCHER. COUNTING THE DAYS TILL IT COMES OUT! HEY, WITH A NAME LIKE HONDA HUNTER YOU MUST HUNT? MYSELF I CANT WAIT FOR GOBBLER SEASON. I GET TO HUNT SOME REMOTE TURKEY SPOTS THAT IVE DREAMED OF FOR YEARS BECAUSE OF THE RANCHER. WELL COULD TALK ALL DAY ABOUT HUNTING.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Upgrading to Rancher