Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

200sx intermittent spark issue HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200sx intermittent spark issue HELP!!!

I have a 1986 200sx that I purchased for a song, and I heard it run for a few seconds when I bought it, but I get her home and start fooling around with getting her back together, and of course the quad won't start so I started by taking the plug out and checking my spark, problem is that at first, say thew the first 3 or so pulls of the pullcord, I get a great spark, but after the first 3 or so pulls I get nothing, you let it sit for a little while and come back and I get the same results.
I have already replaced the ignition coil with a new one.
But I really don't want to just shotgun parts on the quad until I find the right one, so if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly helpfull and appreciated!

thanks,

Randy.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

It's probably an old switch/ old wiring that's not working somewhere. Just check all electrical connections including fuses, grounds etc (wiring digram useful). Does it have electric start?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

yes it has an electric start but it didn't come with a battery and I have yet to buy one.
I did however hook up a car battery to it and the starter button did not engage the starter, I didn't jump the solinoid, so I'm not sure why the starter isn't working.
I did find some broken wires on my keyed ignition switch, so I romoved the switch and replaced it with a couple of toggle switches, no luck.
I also had two wires on the kill switch on the left handlebar that were cut and spliced, according to the wiring diagram when the green wire and the black and white wire are crossed the ingnition should die so I tried cuttin them off off the kill switch and leaving them hooked up to nothing, same intermittent spark problem, when I get back home today I'll start going over the wiring diagram again, and start checking all of my electrical connections, I should also probly purchase a new ignition switch as well as a new starter/kill switch