Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250x no spark, help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009 | 02:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 250x no spark, help please

hi, i have a 250x...it was running fine for years, and then suddenly died, ever since it has had no spark...its a heavily modded atv, aftermarket hi-rev cdi box, has been working fine for years

ive changed just about every part trying to get it fixed:

2 new cdi boxes
tryed different alternator and pulse generator
tryed different coils and spark plug

i checked every wire on it, and did the factory test procedures for testing resistance on the alternator,pulse generator, reverse switch, and cdi harness...everything seems to be up to spec and still no spark

i disconnected the black/white wire from the cdi box, to make sure the igntion switch was not the issue, still nothing

is there some little detail im missing? im ripping my hair over this one, ive never been so stumped in my life

Old 09-28-2009 | 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Now that is just bizarre. There just has to be a broken wire or fuse out somewhere. If your timing chain jumped, I think you'd still have spark, just at the wrong time, but not 100% sure about that.

Old 09-28-2009 | 05:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

i have all the loom and tape ripped clean off the wires, i looked and tested just about everything looking for a break or faulty connection...there are no fuses in this atv that im aware of, just a resistor

the only conclusion i can come up with is the cdi box is not working...but im on the 3rd box now...i cant imagine they are all bad

this is AC based system is a bit confusing...looking at the wiring diagram, its hard to understand why they did some of the things they did...the inline resistor being one of them, not sure what the purpose of it is

another thing i havent touched yet is the AC regulator, i wouldnt know how to test it, or even if its critical to getting a spark

*its 1992 250x btw, im pretty sure the earlier models had different electrical systems

Old 09-28-2009 | 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Check the voltage regulator/rectifier. They convert the electricity to make it spark.

Old 09-28-2009 | 11:52 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 01 406ex
Check the voltage regulator/rectifier. They convert the electricity to make it spark.
is there a way to test it? without actually swapping it out for another one

there wasnt anything about testing it in the photocopies of the factory repair manual i have

Old 06-16-2010 | 03:16 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

still trying to fix this, if anyone has any additional advice id appreciate it

Old 06-18-2010 | 05:36 AM
Trailblazer

lets review. ok so you did everything so far. I would, well I have one of those on my bench right now and its going in the weeds real soon if I (we) cant figure it out. neutral safety switch may or may not affect spark...only starter, right? reverse inhibitor? a seldom checked item. is the alt putting out voltage? a spike ac meter is best. ac is rectified in the cdi? so the coil can recognize and USE dc current. I had a bad plug cap..zero continuity. Looked shiney and new too. Replaced it with a good cap and the plug wire needed to be trimmed a tiny bit like 1/4" just to get some fresh wire to the screw. STILL wasn't the prob for me. kill switch actually MAY have part of the good ground for the cdi to run in ADDITION to the kill ground. (1/2 hr scratching head with reading glasses and diagram) gotta get back to (real) work for now keep thinkin'