Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2003 Rubicon Shift Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Rubicon Shift Problems

Hi everyone. I am new to the Forum and having problems I have heard much of you talking about. I have an 03 Rubi that has not given me any problems until a few weeks ago. I was in the woods and started it up and the D1,D2,ESP lights were blinking and would not shift out of first gear. I have the Clymer manual for it used it to reset it. No luck. I was getting error code 6. I did more research and found how many people were having problems with the angle sensor. I changed the angle sensor , preloaded it, and everything started to work fine. 3 short rides later, it is doing the same thing except with error code 5 (Control Motor Lock/Angle Sensor). The control motor seems to be working ok. I took the motor apart and cleaned/inspected it and no problems were visible. I can take the motor off and perform the initialization and it spins. The reduction gear didnt spin like the manual says it should, but I could hear it spin down when I did the first initialization. It seemed like it was kindof sticking like screwing down a nut on a bolt a little tight. I brought it to the local dealership and they said they got the reduction gear free with little effort, but the think its the transmission because they cant get it to work. I dont think they have tried very hard because they havent even tried to put another angle sensor on it which fixed the problem before. I think they are trying to get me to buy another $3000 transmission. If it was the transmission, I wouldnt think it would start working after I changed out an electrical component. Any assistance would be very appreciated!
Thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get the "angle sensor - motor lock" code it usually just means the shift control motor bottomed out the swash plate and it jammed ..
Just un-jam it with a screwdriver and if the reduction gears turn freely with your finger then they should be ok .. Initialize the ECM and re-test the bike ..

================================================== =======

Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much for the information! Is there any trick to freeing up the reduction gear? It is locked up and the only turn I get out of it is just the slack in the gear. I had it in the shop and they said they freed it up, but I got it home and it was locked. I never saw it free or do I trust them. I ohmed out the total of the angle sensor and it only showed 680 ohms total.... I think the total is supposed to be up around 1800 or above. I am at the point to where I dont want to mess up that gear, but I cant seem to work it free. As I said before, it was doing this same thing before, including having this gear locked and when I changed the angle sensor and it started working. Any suggestions?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Never mind. I made some jumpers for the control motor and used the motor to unlock the reduction gear. I reset the ECM and could hear the motor run the gear back down. I got a code 6 after that. It reset it and got a code 5 again. I think what is happening is the angles sensor is screwed and it is telling the control motor to only turn one way. The resistance on the Angle sensor is way lower than it is supposed to be. I just changed this sensor a couple of weeks ago and didnt ride it much since. Is there something that causes these sensors to go out? At $100 each, this could get expensive....

Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Update: I got the dealership to give me a new angle sensor since the other one that I bought from them only had about 3 hours on it before it crapped out. They didnt want to but eventually gave in. I put it on the bike and everything started working correctly again. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the last one. Thanks for the information!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Update: I got the dealership to give me a new angle sensor since the other one that I bought from them only had about 3 hours on it before it crapped out. They didnt want to but eventually gave in. I put it on the bike and everything started working correctly again. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the last one. Thanks for the information!