Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Storing a single cylinder motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And what would you do if it was a twin? Or a V-4 or anything else besides a single?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

Valves open makes sense(on single). That fog oil looks like it would do the trick.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I just got off the phone with Briggs & Stratton. The guy said it doesn't really matter. In fact, his opinion is that you should leave it on the downstroke between exhaust & intake so that both valves are open. This allows air flow through the cylinder so it keeps moisture out. Much like vents in a crawl space of a house. I told him it seemed that if the valves were closed on the compression stroke, moisture wouldn't get in. He said there is some merit to that thinking but moisture gets in anyway, and when it does, there's no way to get it out. But in the end, he said it really didn't matter. He said "It's a 7 hp Briggs, not a nuclear power plant. Don't worry about it. Where ever it stops, store it." lol
I agree with the guy from Briggs. In the end it will make no difference..............BUT..............If your a blue nose and think about these things, TDC is the best way.

Why? Because the valve springs are at rest. The pro's say is does not make much difference if the valve springs are loaded or unloaded. I have to back the rockers off of the race car this month so you can see where I stand on this issue. I like them unloaded.

I have a 50 year old Briggs. Yes, 50 years old. It gets no special treatment and every year it starts and runs perfect. No 15 buck a quart "Recon" super oil. No drained gas. No Stabil. No nothing, and it starts and runs on about the third pull year after year.

It's good to think about these things, but no reason to over think it either.