Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex wins four-stroke shootout in ATV Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001 | 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

I never read the shoot out and you told us what won in the drag race but what was the bike length gaps.It is one thing to say the DS was 1st,Raptor 2nd,400 3rd and 500 last but was there only a few bike lengths between the to 650s and a dozen bike lengths between 2nd and 3rd?

Old 02-24-2001 | 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Old 02-24-2001 | 05:01 PM
|
Range Rover

They weren't drag races they were radar timed runs so I didn't say because I don't know.
I looked back through my old issues of Dirt Wheels and ATV Action and can't seem to find the shootout where they tested all these machines on a woods track and MX track. Could you please point me in the right direction and let me know what issues. I was happy to hear you are taking precautions to prevent the govt. from intercepting your brain waves but take my advice aluminum foil works better. It scatters the ray guns beams that are orbiting our planet therefore making it impossible for them to get a fix on you.

Old 02-24-2001 | 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Dirt Wheels December 2000. 4-Wheel ATV Action November 2000. The atv action was only Raptor-vs-400ex, but in both cases the Raptor won.

Old 02-24-2001 | 08:01 PM
|
Range Rover

I can't find those two issues so could you please post the times recorded around the woods track and mx track for both machines so I can compare them to what ATV Sport has done. This direct comparison from one set of magazine test riders to the others on the same machines and on the same kind of tracks should prove interesting. But if this is so won't that disprove the "Honda has bought out the magazines" argument?

Old 02-24-2001 | 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Long live the king.
There is a replacement for displacement

Old 02-24-2001 | 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Well from some one who said "the 400ex won so learn to live with it" you don't seem to want to let it go.atv action... They only said "we set up a half-minute course consisting of a few hairpins,two second gear turns,two high speed sweepers,60 feet of whoops and two jumps-something tigher than a typical MX track. With the Raptors horsepower advantage,a faster course like a typical MX would put the EX at an extreme disadvantage.Even on this tighter course, the Raptor prevailed.All our test riders clicked off lap times from a half-second to three-quarters of a second faster" Dirt Wheels picked the Raptor in the Motor-cross track,Trail,and the DS 650 for the dunes. If you need any more info look a little harder for your magazines. But be careful you may actually find them!!!!

Old 02-24-2001 | 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Thoughs top speeds are rediculously slow, the "facts" are a joke. Those test riders must be the best in the business too, I've never seen a rider(s) who can ride machines with different charactoristics like second nature.

H*ll I can race my scrambler 400 against bozo on his 400ex "high performance race quad" and dust him with ease. I don't care what machine you ride, if you can't handle it, it's worthless!!!

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 02-24-2001 | 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Yea you could beat a 400ex if you loaded your scrambler in the back of you pick and then raced the 400ex... There is no way that a scrambler could come with in 50 feet of a 400 on a mx track, in the trails, tt, up a hill, down a hill, acrossed a hill, no the ice, in a house.....

Old 02-24-2001 | 11:10 PM
|
Range Rover

Simply asking questions to try and get the whole story so I can make an educated decision, or is that a problem. These are the first bits of info that back up your claim so "living with it " hasn't been an issue up til now for me. As Dirtwheels was just a "pick" with no actual proof we can throw that one out from the start. And since putting them both on a typical mx track with the same riders and actual clock times didn't happen either, we won't know the results from that either. Let alone no woods trail runs for time. On the other hand I can concede if what you say is true, and I at this time have no reason to doubt that what you say is true. Doesn't that grossly ignorant statement about Honda buying out the results seem utterly ludicrous to you now? Or should I throw that back at you now and say that that is what Yamaha has done. My hat is off to the Raptor for winning the back yard track test. With this stunning victory I humbly bow out of this conversation, forever to hang my head in shame. Good day to you sir.

ps. The reason I don't have the old mags is because after reading them I pass them on to a riding buddy of mine. I have none older than January, I humbly beg forgiveness for this past
transgression.

Quick Reply: 400ex wins four-stroke shootout in ATV Sport