Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

what happend to the 2 stroke??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATVrider89
Sprayedgt: My point exactly. In my experience it is not worth the hassle. For me, I never would compete in a race without a race engine. It would be pointless to do so.

Point being though, no matter what you running the **** out of it, 2-stroke or 4-stroke your going to wear it faster... 2-stokes such as the 250r, Quadzilla, and Banshee are still great motors, they are race legends!
what do you consider a race engine?all my yz had was a wiseco piston boysen rad valve pro circuit pipe and slippie.but im not a pro or nuttin.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

Originally Posted by moto134
what do you consider a race engine?all my yz had was a wiseco piston boysen rad valve pro circuit pipe and slippie.but im not a pro or nuttin.
I am talking about something your running on a track or using for some type of bracket racing. Something that your constantly running the **** out of it. You don't necessarily need to be a professional but you have to be really squeezing all of the power possible out of the motor, constant redlining or WOT as some may call it. Not so much about the actual engine it self but more about who is using it, what their using it for (racing), and who is working on it (real technicians or the "Jack of all trades" down the street). Messing around on a straitaway is one thing, taking you machine to the track and actually running it to it's fullest potential, competing is a whole different experience.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

On that bike I had a full exhaust, bigger bore, higher comp, heat dispersant, dry film lubricant on any moving part, lightened flywheel, VForce Reed .... you name it I had it. That is what I call a "race engine". People throw that term out too freely lately.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Its a EPA thing,even the two stroke sleds are getting cleaner. Arctic Cat used to have a awesome 500 twin two stroke that pushed 105hp stock,but now it only pushes 85hp due to a emission rating they wanted to meet. Here a link about it 2010 Arctic Cat Sno Pro 500

They can get 2 strokes with good emissions but they sure have to tame them down to do it.

If there were one wish list item we’d like and know full well that we won’t get, it would be a step up to the older but ‘emissions dirty’ 105-hp version of Cat’s 500cc twin. Don’t even bother asking. It won’t be happening for production Sno Pro 500s. As you’ll note in other sled lines for 2010, the dirtiest dawg 2-stroke motors are gone. Sled makers are very conscientiously working on ‘fleet average’ numbers to make emissions and mileage numbers work. So, learn to love the 85-hp twin.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
Something was up with this deal. They sound like they wern't built correctly from the get go. When I hear piston wear issues I think not built correctly. Maybe not tuned correctly.
Yes for the average person NOT racing that would be correct. Ask any racer that does this every weekend and see how many rebuild or go through their engines when the race weekend is over.

[/QUOTE]I've owned two strokes and 4 strokes all my life and have never had wear issues like your talking about. One of my blowers runs about an hour on a tank of gas. We run it for about 8 hours a day WOT for a week. It's about 10 years old and still runs like new and leaks down like new. [/QUOTE]

Same type of engine, but TOTALLY different application.

[/QUOTE]I have used outboards, that run WOT for hours. Never rebuilt them. Never leaked them down though. Never any power issues.[/QUOTE]

Typically outboard motors run about half the RPM's (5-6k) at WOT than a dirt bike or ATV engine (8-11k) . I know my Honda 250 was set up to red line at 12,500 RPM's which was 1,500 higher than stock.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Yes for the average person NOT racing that would be correct. Ask any racer that does this every weekend and see how many rebuild or go through their engines when the race weekend is over.
Sorry, IMHO pro's do this for one reason. A show. Their sponsors want "everybody" to see the "pro's" rebuild their engines every race. Why? So Ricky Racer does the same. That way they sell lots of parts. It's called marketing and the manufactures are very good at it. I see it all the time at the track we race at. Some change out their oil after every race. No real reason to do it; just a show. A friend got free oil from Red Line. He said why not? It's free!!!
Same type of engine, but TOTALLY different application.
So your race engine is going to wear out 1000% quicker than my app? COME ON!!!

Typically outboard motors run about half the RPM's (5-6k) at WOT than a dirt bike or ATV engine (8-11k) . I know my Honda 250 was set up to red line at 12,500 RPM's which was 1,500 higher than stock.
See above.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ATVrider89
I am talking about something your running on a track or using for some type of bracket racing. Something that your constantly running the **** out of it. You don't necessarily need to be a professional but you have to be really squeezing all of the power possible out of the motor, constant redlining or WOT as some may call it. Not so much about the actual engine it self but more about who is using it, what their using it for (racing), and who is working on it (real technicians or the "Jack of all trades" down the street). Messing around on a straitaway is one thing, taking you machine to the track and actually running it to it's fullest potential, competing is a whole different experience.
so when i raced motox i had a race engine but the next week it wasnt because i was in the trails???

Old 11-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

so when i raced motox i had a race engine but the next week it wasnt because i was in the trails???
Wow dude, all I have to say is congratulations on being a real smart@$$. Sure, you can just be right on this one, I guess you just have flipping magic bike!

Once again, the harder you are on the bike, the quicker your going to wear your engine.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

[QUOTE=Doctorturbo;2868435]Sorry, IMHO pro's do this for one reason. A show. Their sponsors want "everybody" to see the "pro's" rebuild their engines every race. Why? So Ricky Racer does the same. That way they sell lots of parts. It's called marketing and the manufactures are very good at it. I see it all the time at the track we race at. Some change out their oil after every race. No real reason to do it; just a show. A friend got free oil from Red Line. He said why not? It's free!!![QUOTE]

There's a reason and that is to have the best running engine out there. You don't see racers rebuild their engine at the track unless they break something. I know I've never seen it. That's done at the shop with the proper tools and equipment after the race is over.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo

So your race engine is going to wear out 1000% quicker than my app? COME ON!!!
Re read my post. It was in answer to a guy with a 2 stroke leaf blower. Not a race engine.

Quick Reply: what happend to the 2 stroke??