Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Recon-How to gain horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Recon-How to gain horsepower?

Hi, I was just wanting to know, what are some simple not too expensive mods I could add?

I read somewhere that putting a snorkel on would let more an go in, but my parents won't let me get one. I even asked about putting a homemade one on, but they still said no.

Some mods I thought about adding or exhaust (Big Gun or Hmf? The Gig Gun in my opinion sounds like a little fake machine gun in my opinion, im pretty sure its the Big Gun.) I also want to add k And n air filter, and jet kit. (Not sure what this does, but i've heard this is good for the atv.)

Thanks

Hondarecon03

Old 12-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer

those snorkel kits do make u look a redneck so i dont see why your parents said no lol same for me! but the mods u listed will give it a reallly noticeable gain in peformance. the jet kit on the other hand should be used for all types of modifications done to your engine. the main purpose of a "jet" is to limit the amount of fuel the carb gets... same with airflow through the carb. if u dont get enough air/ fuel in you will be likely to fry your topend and seize the pistons.. if u dont rejet thats the consequence... u dont need the jet "kit" kit being the keyword, it just makes it a little bit easier to rejet the bike. u take the carb bowl off and u just cant miss the big copper/gold screw, thats the main jet... there are also pilot jets. they arent as important and u shouldnt have to worry about them until relllllly extensive mods are done. if ya have any questions man just get in touch with me, i'll be more than happy to help!

cheers,
Tyler

Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the clarification on the jet kit. I barely encounter that much mud, but I would like to be able to plow through it without me having to get winched out. (I'm talking about the mods in general.)

Although I do live in the city, I try to be as much redneck as possible. Hey, isn't that what it's all about?

The snorkel would be homemade so it wouldn't cost $100 or however much it costs. It would be for looks, better airflow, and added protection for going into some deep mud.

How much do you think these mods would cost? Itp Mud Lite tires, 2" lift kit, exhaust, jet kit, and air filter.

Thanks,

Hondarecon03

Old 12-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hondarecon03
Thanks for the clarification on the jet kit. I barely encounter that much mud, but I would like to be able to plow through it without me having to get winched out. (I'm talking about the mods in general.)

Although I do live in the city, I try to be as much redneck as possible. Hey, isn't that what it's all about?

The snorkel would be homemade so it wouldn't cost $100 or however much it costs. It would be for looks, better airflow, and added protection for going into some deep mud.

How much do you think these mods would cost? Itp Mud Lite tires, 2" lift kit, exhaust, jet kit, and air filter.

Thanks,

Hondarecon03

hahaha man im a redneck! yeah thats what its all about... those mods would linger from $600-$1400.... what type of pipe are you lookin at? they can be uo to $700 cheapest being $200.... i would suggest the dynojet kit, it makes the job much much easier! mud lites shouldnt cost too much maybe $170..... and for the airfilter.... i would suggest K&N, they are tough as nails as are uni's, i run uni's in all my bikes....... and i dont know much about lift kits so idk how much they could cost....

if ya need any help
Holla
Tyler

Old 12-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by tyler1blaster
hahaha man im a redneck! yeah thats what its all about... those mods would linger from $600-$1400.... what type of pipe are you lookin at? they can be uo to $700 cheapest being $200.... i would suggest the dynojet kit, it makes the job much much easier! mud lites shouldnt cost too much maybe $170..... and for the airfilter.... i would suggest K&N, they are tough as nails as are uni's, i run uni's in all my bikes....... and i dont know much about lift kits so idk how much they could cost....

if ya need any help
Holla
Tyler
I'm not sure which it is, but either the HMF or the Big Gun exhaust sounds like a little toy machine gun. I don't want it too loud, but I want more air to flow through for more horsepower. Thats what it would do right?

Yeah, the Mudlites might cost that much just for the two rear tires. I used to not want front tires since i didn't have 4x4, but now I kind of do want the front tires just for the looks.

Thanks

Hondarecon03

Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey man i got a 07 rcon and all i have on it is 22 mud lites on the back and a 2 in lift on the front the lift i made for free with some square tubing that i cut one side off of and bolted it in between my shock and my frame and u dont need tires on the front cause all they will do is slow u down in the mud

Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

just so you understand, adding a snorkel will not INCREASE airflow...in fact they typically restrict airflow because of the bends in the tubing/snorkel...in most cases adding a snorkel will necessitate using a smaller jet to keep it from running too rich.

HMF makes a good pipe...never used a Big Gun so I can't say yea or nay, but if you get an HMF, you may be able to get the swamp model (snorkeled) for your Honda. Be sure to get the "quiet core" insert for your HMF if you don't get the snorkeled model...they are loud without them and it's worth the extra $19 to keep from pissing off the neighbors.

A good set of mud tires will make a big difference...I have had Mudlites on two of my bikes...my Honda trx300 and my suzuki Vinson...and I like their performance but they seem to be prone to sidewall puncture. I now use 589's on my AC650TRV and will switch the others over to 589s once their tires wear out (or get more punctures).

I would recommend a UNI over a K&N simply from the standpoint of minimizing maintenance. The K&N is more of a racing design...I used one on my TRX250R racer because it flows more air, but it doesn't filter as well as a UNI so you have to do more frequent cleaning.

I run a Dial-A-Jet system on my Vinson, and am planning on putting one on my AC...it works really well for me, as I ride at different altitudes. It can also make it easier for you to tune your Recon with a snorkel and exhaust.

Since your recon doesn't have the engine displacement to be able to turn big tires, I would skip the lift kit....it won't make any difference in the clearance, but it can have very significant negative effects on the handling. Since you won't have the sheer power of a 600+ engine to blast through stuff, you can still have something that handles well when you are picking your way around obstacles. (Just my 2 cents there)

Old 02-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

I know this thread is old, but i need help. I just bought a recon, i had extra cash after buying my can am outlander. i just snorkeled it, but it gets WAY too much air. what should i do? i have 0 experience with carbs. thanks.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Chris.400
I know this thread is old, but i need help. I just bought a recon, i had extra cash after buying my can am outlander. i just snorkeled it, but it gets WAY too much air. what should i do? i have 0 experience with carbs. thanks.
^^^^ See previous post above. Air should be more restricted with the snorkel. You might "google" and find out what jetting change you need after the snorkel is installed on the 250. I would help, but no expierence on a little machine...

Old 02-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

On my Arctic Cat 500, removing the restrictive spark arrestor tube from inside the stock muffler and replaced the tip with one from eBay with a cleanable screen. Noticeable power increase and much deeper healthy sound. K&N filter an off set 5 degree timing key and a racing cam, then the dynojet kit, did a few plug chops and got the jetting right, finally it's pretty quick!