Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

help 300ex wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok ill see if i can get a gauge today its raining here today so i dont know how much work ill be doing i need a garage

Old 12-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

i took it to my brother inlaws today he put his guage on it and the compression was very low both top ends i have the valves were bent im going to try and get new valves tomorrow i was looking in the manual and it says to cut the seats for the valves do i have to with new valves?

Old 12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

i was looking in the manual and it says to cut the seats for the valves do i have to with new valves?
If you replace the valves, to do the job correctly, you need to do a complete valve job.

When you change the guides you need to do a complete valve job.

So yes, you do.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

anyone want to buy a 300ex looks great

Old 12-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

just kidding or maybe not but my brother inlaw did the valves for me it has much better compression but it still wont start i dont know where to go from here when i had the carb off today i pushed the throtle and the gas comes out in a mist i remember on my old 2stroke dirtbike it would shoot out in a stream im not sure how its suposed to be on this bike but does that seem like its working right i dont know where to go from here other than to just start parting it out

Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Just get back to basics.
How much compression?
Does it have spark? If not, check why not. If so:
Does it get fuel?
Will it pop with ether?
Is the cam timing on?

You have a lot of work to do. You just have to eliminate them one by one.
Good luck.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer

i checked the oil today it was way too full double what it should be could that have something to do with it?

Old 12-31-2009, 07:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It was either way over filled, or if your float valve in the carb is not working properly, it can overflow.

If the drain is blocked, or it dumps gas faster than it drains out, it can flow into the throat of the carb and into the engine where it seeps past the rings into the crank case.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer

i took the top end off again i know the head gaskets bad could that be the problem also there alot of black burnt stuff on top of the pistin could it be that?

Old 01-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

ok i made some progress today i think i took off the top end i cleaned the piston rings and all the carbon build up off the piston put it all back together set the timming tride to start it same as usual so i sprayed starting fluid in the carb it sounded like it wanted to start so i tride that for about a half hour with nothing so i took off the carb and sprayed it in the hole for the carb and it started for about a second so i put the carb back on sprayed it in the carb still the same as before so i took off the plates on my pipe i have a fmf power max or something like that so now the exuast is upened up i tride the starting fluid in the carb again and it started it ran for about a min maybe a little less i havent tride agian since i dont want to mess anything else up do you think it will be fine now if i let it run for a little bit or what could still be wrong with it? i also cleaned the carb it seams to be spraying out better now too

Quick Reply: help 300ex wont start