Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda 450 2001 manual shift stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda 450 2001 manual shift stuck in gear

4x4 all ways was backing up stalled and now i am stuck in reverse and can not start the quad either. Honda mechanic here has never came across this problem no noise or any thing just stalled and stuck in gear. what i have tried rocking back and forth, put in a heated shop to thaw, tried to jump start the starter, have pull and check all fuses, i am going to lift the quad off the ground all 4 wheels and move wheels while trying to get out of gear using a atv jack. this is a manual shift no shift buttons at all, shifter uses the same oil and the engine does which is full and new changed 2 weeks ago, bought a new rear end from Honda this year and make comes fully assembled just had to swap out did 2 months ago blew the rear end jumping. i know not good for a 4x4 learned the hard way. # 1 how can i get it started with out being in neutral. # 2 how to get it to go into neutral with out pulling apart engine.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see this is your first post and I checked my PM's and couldnt find one from "vett" ..

We get all kinds/models in that are stuck in gear , could be several things from the drum shifter , shift plate , gearshift arm etc, etc ... You will have to remove the clutch cover and check the gearshift assy ...

Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a similar problem i couldnt get mine started in any gear so i posted at hondaatvforums.net and someone over there knows how too start it in reverse i tride it but it didnt work i think i did the wrong wires i have a 300ex maybe it will work for yours heres what he posted

This reall sounds like a timing Issue if you have spark and you have fuel physics say it will run try something go to the left side of the quad (shifter side) look for a gray wire and a gray/black wire. one of those leads to the other side of the engine under the brake pedal lever ...ok... where that wireconnects to the harness unplug it from the harness make you a jumper wire about 2" long strip both ends now on the harness connect that jumper to the gray coming from the CDI box and the gray/black. try that and see if it will start. be sure the red switch on the bar is on and the key.. oh and hold in the clutch... it will start in reverse now.