Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Challenging Question here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Challenging Question here...

sorry but I'm a newb, I need to know if my 1988 Honda 350TRX is supposed be 4x4 even in reverse. Im guessing not because after being all set up and plowing (which it is doing a fantastic job, allbeit with two 70lb tube sand on the rear rack and chains on the rear tires) the thing does not like to move in reverse with the weight of the plow pulling the front end down. So today i look out the window and the neighbor is forwards, backwards up hill this and that without chains, without sand, and he probably weighs less than I do, he does have a bigger and better atv but I cant believe how well his moves in the snow and how poorly mine does without all the **** on it.
I guess im going to put it on blocks, start it up and see whats going on with the 4 wheels because I am suspicious of how 4x4 is working going forward too, whenever Im bogging down the rear tires always spin and the front never does.
I never had a problem with its getting around until it snowed. Am i missing something here? is there no 4x4 while in reverse? do the two front wheels have less power than the rear at all times?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by torr58
sorry but I'm a newb, I need to know if my 1988 Honda 350TRX is supposed be 4x4 even in reverse. Im guessing not because after being all set up and plowing (which it is doing a fantastic job, allbeit with two 70lb tube sand on the rear rack and chains on the rear tires) the thing does not like to move in reverse with the weight of the plow pulling the front end down. So today i look out the window and the neighbor is forwards, backwards up hill this and that without chains, without sand, and he probably weighs less than I do, he does have a bigger and better atv but I cant believe how well his moves in the snow and how poorly mine does without all the **** on it.
I guess im going to put it on blocks, start it up and see whats going on with the 4 wheels because I am suspicious of how 4x4 is working going forward too, whenever Im bogging down the rear tires always spin and the front never does.
I never had a problem with its getting around until it snowed. Am i missing something here? is there no 4x4 while in reverse? do the two front wheels have less power than the rear at all times?
Yeah....it should be 4 wheel drive in reverse. How are your tires.....in the snow tires make a HUGE difference. Hell my 2wd Honda 200cc goes with ease in 14 inches of snow......but then again Im not pushing snow....just riding in it. A buddy has a 300cc Honda 2wd machine with a plow on it and he has no problems pushing 12 to 14 inches of snow....as long as he puts the chains on.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

i have to agree tires make the diffirence in a utility. it is 4x4 all the time, even in reverse.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tires are okay, must be front isn't going bc rear is spinning and sliding with chains. It's only a 4 ft cycle country plow, pushing snow is piece of cake, its reversing up any kind of incline that is the problem. Altogether including my weight and sand tubes there is about 360 lbs on it countering the 100-150 lb plow. I don't get why I sit there and spin...
4x4 must not be working and I didn't know it.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is full time 4X4, so the front should work in reverse as well. Put it up on blocks, and see what is going on! Could be that your front just isn't working at all....quite possible given its age. Splines could be stripped? Those old front ends were "open" and better than nothing but not by much.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, I put it up, started, put it in gear and zero power to the front wheels, forward and revese, i'm kind of peeved bc i probably bought it that way and just realized it. i need 4x4 for snow plowing, i think its going to make that much difference, where do i begin to fix it? im pretty good at fixing things, no b.s. but ive never delt with axles and gears and stuff but i learn quick, what do i do now?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Get a service manual, and see what all is going to be involved. If the driveshaft turns when you turn the wheels, then the problem is inside the transmission. If the shaft does not turn, then you probably have a problem in the differential. I have heard of the splines on the driveshaft stripping after years of rust gets in there and weakens them.

Might not be worth fixing something that old though. Time for a new Rancher!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally Posted by torr58
Okay, I put it up, started, put it in gear and zero power to the front wheels, forward and revese, i'm kind of peeved bc i probably bought it that way and just realized it. i need 4x4 for snow plowing, i think its going to make that much difference, where do i begin to fix it? im pretty good at fixing things, no b.s. but ive never delt with axles and gears and stuff but i learn quick, what do i do now?
I know this might be a stupid question, but are you sure it is a 4x4?

The reason I ask is that when I was looking to buy my Rancher years ago, I looked at one that the guy claimed was a 4x4, and it had 4x4 stickers on it too. But when I rode it it didn't feel like a 4x4 so I looked at the front end and there were no CV joints or any 4x4 components at all.......I told the guy he was trying to scam me and he said he didn't know and that he got it like that. I did not really believe him and left....

Since then I've heard of two other occasions where people bought 4x4 stickers for a 4x2 ATV to either intentionally pass it off or accidentally put the wrong stickers on.

Just thought I'd thought that out there in case......

Old 01-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Now that's just wrong. Buying 4 x 4 stickers for a non 4 x 4 machine? Man, that is bad. Hopefully, we are all smart enough to look at the drive underneath.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Pro Rider

Don't listen to reconranger he's wrong it is not an open diff on the 1986-94 TRX350D/Foreman .. They use clutches/plates which is far better than the newer models with cam followers ..
I would jack up the front and turn the front wheels until you trace it to where it's not turning .. In the picture I circled the spots with splines

=======================================

=======================================

Quick Reply: Challenging Question here...