Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

700XX or Outlaw IRS??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010 | 05:17 PM
Range Rover

Like you I've been in the process of deciding between the 700xx and the Outlaw as well.

I've been doing a lot of research and comparison between the two. This is what I've found so far:

Owners in both camps seem to love their quads, and love the IRS.

As far as size (I'm 6'5") I've found both to be comfortable and roomy. For comfort I actually like the ergos of the redesigned '09 Outlaw the best, followed by the 700xx, then the '08 Outlaw.

Even after all the research it still is a tough decision because they both seem to have their pluses and minuses.

The 700xx has fuel injection, and Honda's reputation for reliability. But it is also 500+ pounds, has more pronounced body roll, and has a reported tendency to push in corners.

The Outlaw is nearly 100 pounds lighter, and has a nice motor, and less body roll. But it is a little higher maintenance, and doesn't have Honda's reputation for reliability. Reliability issues seem to involve mostly the stock chinese wheel bearings.

All of the minuses of both quads can be addressed, except one...the weight. Weight may be the deciding factor for me and the places I ride, but may not be for others. If you're used to a ute then weight may not be an issue.

Old 02-07-2010 | 10:15 PM
|
Range Rover

Thanx Rkangel777. When you pick up yours let me know what you think. I'm still kinda leaning towards the Honda. Like I said racing is not my riding style. And I do love the thought of having F.I.

Old 02-07-2010 | 11:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

JFYI Weight of a quad is addressable in the relm of tires/wheels, handle bars, suspension parts, tho dueable it is costly. Like you said and IMHO EFI is pricless and with a 3mod air,fuel,exhaust you will be running circles around a Outlaw. The 700 will also be a better bang for the buck, dollar for dollar better all around quad!

Old 02-08-2010 | 12:34 AM
Range Rover

Yeah, just waiting on the tax return, and an opportunity to try out a 700xx in real world conditions. I've been leaning toward the 700xx, but being able to see if the 500 lbs. is noticeable in the dunes will probably be the final deciding factor.

Old 02-08-2010 | 01:13 AM
The Facility

Whats the difference between a 125lb 16 year old riding a 450R and a 225lb 30 year old riding a 700XX????
There is no difference.

Speed is relative and so is weight.

Old 02-08-2010 | 07:03 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Originally Posted by Specta
And this comes from someone who buys a 3-wd Rancher for "technical trails".
Don't drink the coolaid! This site is history, compared to what it once was! It has been taken over by the utility rednecks! It is absolutely necessary to go elsewhere folks....if you want real advice....from real sport quad riders with real experience!!! Even utility trail riders, will find better advice eleswhere than they will get here from the mud wallowing crowd.

Spectra....I recall from a previous post that you said you had never even ridden a sport quad....so you have absolutely no business even being in this discussion!!!

Old 02-08-2010 | 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

ahhhhh.....here we go again.....us utility riding.....mud hole wallerin.....rednecks..............where is that deep mudhole .......here hold my beer and watch this!!!!!!!give me mud over sand any day.....

Old 02-08-2010 | 09:24 AM
|
Range Rover

ALRIGHT!!!!!!! I did not start this thread to have the sport riders bash the uties and vice-versa. I wanted honest input on the two bikes I was on the fence about. Recon I am a redneck utility rider. However I enjoy all aspects of our sport. I want a bike that I can take to the dunes one weekend and then do a little playing in the mud and trails the next. We all need to realize we are in this sport TOGETHER. Look at some of my other posts about not being able to take my kids with me riding in Michigan because of some old out-dated laws. THATS what we need to fight over not spend time talking s**t about each other. I'm happy to see anyone on 4 wheels or even 2, that means offroading is growing. Which is what we want, to be a force to be heard about riding laws and areas. So grow-up and respect the fact we all ride and we all need to ban together or we might not be able to pass our sport on to our kids. P.S. Knowsalot.....the difference between a 16Y.O. on a 450R and a 30Y.O. on a 700XX is healing time! LOL

Old 02-08-2010 | 09:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by voodoo574
ALRIGHT!!!!!!! I did not start this thread to have the sport riders bash the uties and vice-versa. I wanted honest input on the two bikes I was on the fence about. Recon I am a redneck utility rider. However I enjoy all aspects of our sport. I want a bike that I can take to the dunes one weekend and then do a little playing in the mud and trails the next. We all need to realize we are in this sport TOGETHER. Look at some of my other posts about not being able to take my kids with me riding in Michigan because of some old out-dated laws. THATS what we need to fight over not spend time talking s**t about each other. I'm happy to see anyone on 4 wheels or even 2, that means offroading is growing. Which is what we want, to be a force to be heard about riding laws and areas. So grow-up and respect the fact we all ride and we all need to ban together or we might not be able to pass our sport on to our kids. P.S. Knowsalot.....the difference between a 16Y.O. on a 450R and a 30Y.O. on a 700XX is healing time! LOL
X2 How true that is. If we dont ban together will will have nowhere to ride at all thus no ATC neither

Old 02-08-2010 | 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

vodoo...........well said.......and back to your original question.....if i was choosing between the two as you are i would lean towards the 700xx because .....no 1 its a honda which will require less maintenence and parts down the road....no 2 the honda has a 2500.00 dollar rebate on the leftover models......no 3 the 700 has more torque and low end grunt

Quick Reply: 700XX or Outlaw IRS??????