Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tire Upgrade...but WHAT KIND and WHAT SIZE?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Upgrade...but WHAT KIND and WHAT SIZE?!

I recently purchased a '09 Rancher 420 FI and found out after several rides that the stock tires lack a lot of grip. Im wanting to buy a 14" rim with a 26" tire. I was thinking about the GBC Spartacus Radial with ITP SS aluminum wheels but its an 8 ply tire and Im concerned about weight and what the size of the tire will affect. I was also looking at the Maxxis Bighorn 2 with the same type of wheel and tire size. Will either of these tires rub? I mainly do trail riding, some mud and creeks. Are these tires good for that? Can anyone give me some advice or reviews before I make this purchase and regret doing the wrong thing?

Old 02-21-2010, 11:17 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

If you go up to 26's you will have a noticeable loss of low end power...it won't keep you from going through mudholes and up hills, but it certainly will not have the snap of the smaller diameter 24's that came on it.

You will have a greater choice of sizes for a 12 inch wheel currently, but that seems to be a changing trend. 14 inch wheels are nice and blingy, but they seem to get beat up easier than the 12 inch wheels...matter of personal choice I guess.

You can compensate for this loss of low end power by getting a better exhaust pipe and air filter (and since your ATV has EFI, you might need to get it remapped but maybe not...a carbureted model would need a bigger main jet to compensate for the greater air intake thinning the fuel/air ratio) HMF makes a "Utility Series" that is a good pipe, but be sure to get the "quiet core" insert or it will be too loud. UNI makes a great air filter as well.

If you don't want the extra cost to offset the power loss, you might stay with 25's

I have no experience with the Maxxis Bighorn, but a thread here voiced a lot of disappointmented riders who had Bighorns. No experience at all with the Spartacus either.

You didn't ask, but I have had Mudlites that have performed very well on my TRX300 and on my Vinson 500 5-speed. The only issues I have had have been sidewall punctures. The 589's on my Arctic Cat TRV have worked extremely well, and my buddy has had a set of 589's on his Grizzly for over 6 years and has never had a flat (and he rides the tough stuff with me) Of the two I would recommend the 589's but both have worked well

Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

I am also in the market for a tire upgrade on my 420. To keep it cheap and compatible I have decided to go with 25 inch 589m/s from ITP. By going with their 25x8-12 up front and 25x10-11 in the rear I get to use the stock rims while going up in tire diameter from 24 to 25. In addition to the extra inch in diameter over stock I am keeping in mind that the lugs on the ITP's are also wider and deeper. So for me the 589m/s seem to make logical sense. Finally by going to 25 instead of 26 I have less of a chance of noticeable power loss. Again this is what I have decided to do for my Rancher you and others may find that this is not the best solution, but for me it makes sense.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My friend notice a power loss with 6 ply 26" tires on his 660 Grizzly,so the 420 will defiantly feel it. 8ply 26" tires must be even heavier.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first 2 sets of of tires I bought were heavy and I stayed with the original size on my Rubicon.

The last set I bought are lighter tires and went with 26" and actually think I gained power over the heavy 25" tires.

It all depends on what you want from your tires; I bought a set of Carlisle ACTs and I am very impressed with their performance in the snow and for all around trail riding.

My last set of tires were Big Horns and I actually like my new ACTs better. The ACTs wont last as long due to the softer rubber compound but they handle better on dry surfaces and I believe that they perform in the snow as good if not better than the Big Horns did, Big Horns are a heavy tire. The ACTs are an excellent all around tire.

I think tire weight should be a major consideration.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the advice. I will take all of it into consideration.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:58 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Look at a 25" Mud Lite. Great traction, light and a good price.

Generally speaking, stay within an inch of stock size and you should be fine. 26" is a little much for the 420.