Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ideas for a Floation device

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ideas for a Floation device

I have an 08 recon ES. I want to put something on it to help it be buoyant. I was thinking about an inner tube and stuffing it in a canvass bag about 18" X 24" then laying it under the front rack, and airing it up. Have any of you tried this before or do ya'll think it will work well? I would like some other suggestions (tried and proven) before I go spend the $ on it and it don't work.

Thanks all

Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

You have a almost new really nice Recon quad and you want to submerge it in muddy water. (or at least drive it in some really deep water)

This is as hard as it gets on any engine/tranny, gear set, and bearings. I can't think of anything worst except pouring a hand full of sand in the engine sump.

I really think you need to rethink on what your trying to do.

If you have to run in this type of terrain, IMHO I think you would be better off with a Max or Argo or something like that.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You make get it to float off the bottom but its keeping it upright that would be the hard part.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Doc for your frankness I do appreciate it. Last week was the first time I had it through water up to the hand grips. I went right through the bog with no problem just slowed down some. There were about 4 bogs like that but I only went through that one that deep. The rest I did go through but they were only about 1 1/2 feet deep. Only up to my knees when sitting. That was my first time going with those guys, usually I go with Brother and we just go down trials,dirt pits and some mud about 6" or so deep. It has been raining a lot here and sometimes ya just do not know how deep the holes are. I am wanting to snorkel it also just for those instances. Not that I want to tear it up but sometimes you just do not know what you are in for and I would like to be prepared. I can understand what you are saying and I was truly thankful for NOT getting stuck in a rut in that hole. That's the reason for the flotation device also.
Yeah TLC usually I am trialing behind the others or at least 3rd in line. I have no intentions of crossing rivers ....YET ?@#?!% I was just headed home early that time and was alone.If my engine had stopped I would have been up the creek literally.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

My wife has a Recon and believe it or not they are very good in the mud. I think it's because they are lighter and easier to move around when shifting your body weight around. Honda's are very dependable until you suck some sand in the engine then they are worthless. Good luck and be safe buddy.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Thank you IMOK for taking my post as constructive. I was afraid that you would take my post as me trying to be a d!ck. This was not my intention.

I just wanted to point out that mudding is VERY hard on your quad. As long as you know that and you are ok with it, all is good.

Anyway, the problem I see with floatation is.............a........it makes the quad float. The tires get no grip in water so you come to a stop. If you look up the specks on a Hummer you will find out that this is why they build them so heavy. That way they sink and get grip. (Google it)

This is another reason the PO-PO's mud so well. They weigh as much as a small elephant!!! That way they sink and dig in.

Remember the 3 wheelers with the big floation tires? They did not do good in water at all because of the above reason.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

If you do get it to float, there will be no traction because the tires won't be plnated on the bottom. How will you get it through the mud puddle if it won't move?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=Doctorturbo;2907216]

This is another reason the PO-PO's mud so well. They weigh as much as a small elephant!!! That way they sink and dig in.

[QUOTE]

Hey, I resemble that remark! With my weight on my PoPo we're getting into the weight of a medium elephant.

There was another post somewhere on here where a guy put a big tiretube like device on the front and back of a Yamaha? and it actually worked pretty good. I would be a little worried about tipping over though. I would just get a really aggressive set of mud tires for the rear of the Recon and sit back on it when in the mud. The only real difference between a 2wd and a 4wd is how much further in the woods you get stuck.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hummm Decisions decisions. Why can't something EVER be cut N dry? I have a set of stryker tires on back. So far they have done well; as in they do not get mud logged between the trax (if that's what ya call it).
As far as the flotation stuff. This past weekend 3/14/10 was the first time I ever went through such a deep hole and my intention with the tube in front was to mainly keep the front winch controls out of water if it ever happens again.I don't usually go through water over say 1' deep. That was just because I got myself into a spot I did not know and was headed home alone. I had the thought in mind that IF I could keep the front up enough to not wet the controls the back would be surely on the ground with my weight. I only weigh 160 though.
I was happy to know that even IF I am alone and need to go I can get through just about anything around here.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like the tires you have are a good choice for your machine. You just need something that has a decent cleat and cleans itself out when they spin. The more I think about your situation the more I think I would get some kind of old air tank, have a welder make a bracket that will fit your Recon on the front, and bolt it on where a winch would go. Just a thought. If you do it take some pics for us.

Quick Reply: ideas for a Floation device