Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2001 honda 400ex heating problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 honda 400ex heating problems?

Well I have a new honda, had it bored with a 440 big bore kit, stage 2 hotcam. Ok but the quad overheated and blew the head gasket, so i had to send it out to get the fixed. But I wanna find a way to make sure to that it doesn't happen anymore due to overheating.

(IDEAS)
-Bigger oil-cooler with a fan hooked up on it wired to the headlight wiring so i can turn it on and off, and side scoops to ram air in.

-I saw on the internet that people sell kits that tap a hole in the clutch cover and in the cam head and its a new cooler to send up 40 degrees cooler oil straight to the cams so its alot cooler but i wanna know if anyone has ever heard of that kit before its like $119.

So if anyone has any other ideas, please tell cause i would like to solve this problem the cheapest way.

(details of the quad)
-440 big bore kit
-stage 2 hot cam
-port & polished
-Houser +2 A-Arms
-Lonestar +2 Axel
-Houser +2 steering coll-om
-Hole-shot tires
-bead lock rims
-Full-Bore racing cut fenders
-K&N air intake
-Pro-Taper trick bars
-DG nerf bars
-Big Gun Exhaust system and re-programmer
-Racing drive chain and sprockets

Attached Thumbnails 2001 honda 400ex heating problems?-back-view.jpg   2001 honda 400ex heating problems?-front-view.jpg   2001 honda 400ex heating problems?-left-view.jpg   2001 honda 400ex heating problems?-right-view.jpg  
Old 03-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

how did you know that you blew a head gasket i am having the same problem i think with my 2003, but i dont know how much it has been bored out since i just bought it

Old 03-28-2010, 05:45 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

Since you didn't mention it and it wasn't listed, I would look at the jetting/carb to make sure you are getting enough fuel...run it too lean and you get the heat issues you are describing

Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 160 main jet and its running alittle rich. Im not sure how much it is bored out though just bought the thing a week ago, but i know its got a weisco piston in it.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually i figured it out, seeing these engines are only air cooled, they to not cool fast enough seeing that the big bore kit thins the wall to much the temperature goes up big time even if the mixture screw is a justed right so i mad a better cooling kit beside that stupid little oil cooler, it doesn't cool **** so i went to a auto store and bought a chevy tranny oil cooler, bolted it on the front, guided the line that goes from the oil cooler to the engine to the new oil cooler and then to the engine, its great and drops the temp by 40-60 degree, its perfect cause now u have two oil coolers. reminder " wind ramming through the oil cooler does not cool it, its just the oil passing through the cooler is what cools it so those stupid cooling ram vents that you bolt on the side are really all show and no go, the quad CAN NOT go fast enough to actually cool it." I hope you guys like this new lesson about how to cool your engines, remember people, 440 kits are not good for these engines unless you make this oil cooling kit, no drilling into your engine so this will be easier and cheaper. If you don't bore these engines out, they are bullet proof, they are very trust worthy and by the way they do make liquid cool kits but they cost $2500 so you are pretty much better off buying a TRX 450r. Anymore question just ask...

Attached Thumbnails 2001 honda 400ex heating problems?-img_0014.jpg  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I for one would love to see pics of that...I have wanted to do something like this myself and I bet I'm not alone.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

well there is a pic of it when i got it mounted, its right at the end of that last reply that i put so take a look at it and you will know how it is set up

Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

doh...didnt notice that. That is bad ***...what model was it off of? And did you add more oil to make up for the extra oil cooler?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

chevy 1999's and up can work for it, i didn't add extra oil in it cause you would have to put a bigger oil tank on which i do highly recommend cause that also drops the temp by 20 degrees, also where the headers are near oil tank?, put muffler tape on cause that will keep the heat off the the oil tank and keep the oil from heating up like a boil pot, lol i also used roil purple oil cause it causes less friction on the gears with lower temps.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

What oil do you use, Try full synthetic motor oil, not one of those junk 20/80 blends either. Honda does not make a full synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil can hold there properties at much higher temperatures then conventional oil can before breaking down.

Quick Reply: 2001 honda 400ex heating problems?