Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX250 Transmission doesn't work properly

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX250 Transmission doesn't work properly

Hello and I'm sorry to bother you all, but I'm stumped. I just got a 2002 Honda TRX250es. When I got it wasn't running and had been left outside in the elements for 2 years. So I was able to get the motor going but now I can't figure out the shifting on this thing.
I'll try to explain the issue... First, after reading this forum, I learned that the Honda wont go into gear if the idle is too high. So I lowered the idle and I got it into first gear, then second, up to third but I couldnt get it to go into 4th or 5th.
The reverse gear doesn't work either. I pressed down on the red button while holding onto arrow but no go.
The following day, I got it into 1st and 2nd but it wouldn't go into 3rd. Then it wouldn't come out of 2nd gear. While I was pushing the down arrow, the 2 was lit but the 1 began to flash, repeating 5 flashes thenn 3 flashes. I can hear the motor trying to get it to shift gears but all that happens is the headlights dim.
Also thanks to this web site, I found out about manual shifting, found the wrench and I was able to get it back into neutral. But even by pressing the red button and trying to get it into reverse manually it still wouldn't go.
I sure hope one of you knowledgable people can help me out here because I'm at a loss. What could possibly cause a tranny to behave so wierd? Works one day but not the next. Oh and BTW using the manual shift I was able to get it into 4th.
Thanks Again, BD

Old 04-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code #3 is angle sensor system .. Code #5 is ECU motor driver curcuit ..

If the engine will not shift from R , N , 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 . 5 then back fairly easy using the emergency shifter then the ESP isn't going to shift properly..

Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Question Thanks for the quick reply

but I have no idea where either of those two sensors are located? I figure I'll try and replace the angle sensor first since thats the one I've read the most about going bad. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I change the "engine sensor"? I've already forgot what its called. Honda mechanic would it be possible for you to take me step by step through replacing the angle sensor or guide me to a previous post that can tell me?
I'm a Marine mechanic by trade but I'm really out of my element with these small motor and all of it's interactive parts that have to work in concert to make the thing go.
Thanks Again and best regards to all!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Question BTW exactly what is an ESP?

Is the automatic automatic transmission called an ESP? and what is the ECU? I'm sorry but calling me a "newbie" would be an insult to all those newbies out there. I'm one step below a newbie

Old 04-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Now I'm very confused

I started the bike this afternoon and after tinkering around with the idle I got it into reverse. So then I tried 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th gear getting up to about 50mph. The damned thing works perfectly? Is my bike possessed? Will I go to get on it tomorrow and it won't shift again? Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior from their Honda TRX250 Recon? I'm searching for answers on this site but no luck as of yet.
Thank you in advance and best regards, Brian D.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

I think I know what the problem is. Take a look underneath. It's probably a female.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default yep

and she's going thru the changes. So I figure I've got about 1 year of phsychotic behavior ahead of me.... You fellas are too much!