Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Should I trade a Raptor for a HIGHLY MODIFIED 250R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm posting this in the Honda Forum since many of you are familiar with 250Rs. I have found a HIGHLY MODIFIED 1988 250R that a guy is wanting $8000 for. It belonged to a professional racer that I was told is in the top 10 - some guy named Keith Little. The Raptor is a great machine, but I can always buy another one next year. The 250R intrigued me since I've never ridden one and they are somewhat known as a legend. Am I giving a 250R too much credit or would a professionally built 250R really be A LOT OF FUN??? The trade would be my Raptor (w/ Big Gun pipe and accessories) plus $1500. Would the performance difference justify the price and the fact the 250R is better than showroom condition? Obvisiously, my riding style will need to change somewhat, since the 250R wouldn't be as suitable for mud and rocks, but I don't anticipate the change being a problem.

Any help before I call this guy back will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Bart
www.members.home.net/bartkim

Old 03-02-2001, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Dude yes keith little is in the top ten!I would trade NOW before it was to late.The only thing stock on his bike is maybe the brake calipers and electric system!

No your not giving the 250r enough credit especcially a full race aftermarket R!

I can't believe you don't know who kieth little is.

moded out 86 trx250r
97 300ex
90 blaster
(All you are is specs in the dust!)

Old 03-02-2001, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer

Depends on what you are going to do with the 250R if you are planning on racing yes the R is top but if you are going to mud ,climb,or abuse the raptor would be better . I have 2 86 250R's and a 97 banshee that me and my 2 sons MX and for us we laugh at raptors on the track . But we wont even follow a raptor off track . We have to much invested in parts which the R you speak of has to tear up fun riding .

Old 03-03-2001, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

if you get that 250r i wanna see some pics... $8000 is a lot of money it must be a nice quad. and i dont doubt it for a second.

Old 03-03-2001, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

first is this a mx or tt quad? If it is mx and you ride on a mx track then that would be awsome. But remember this was riden by one of the best atvers ever (the living snot was beaten out of it) and you will probly have more mantance than you will with your raptor. But it will flat out smear the raptor on a mx track. If it is a TT'r then the engine should be tuned for high-end and all of the parts very light. If you do (or want to) ride/race TT than that could be great. That quad should have all of the best parts for what it is setup for.

Old 03-03-2001, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, it is a TT racer. I have made up my mind and decided to go for it. Raptor's are just getting started, there will be fresh supply next year if I want to go back. I will be leaving this afternoon to pick it up. He said it comes with an extra Lobo swingarm and a 2nd set of Hoosier tires. The swingarm on it now is a CAFD (whatever that is?) and it's chrome plated. What the heck, it looks like it would be something fun to try! Information and a picture can be found here...

http://www.cycletrader.com/addetail.html?7388768

Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

Bart
www.members.home.net/bartkim

Old 03-03-2001, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

That looks like one sweet A$$ quad man. I hope all turns out well with it for ya. I wanna see some more pics, when you get the quad. please.

Old 03-03-2001, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats brother, with all the 4stroke optimism going on nowadays, a fair amount of people will feed you lots of soup on the 400ex vs 250R or Raptor vs 250R.The dead honest truth is you have a bike that will rip your arms off and blast through corners like you never have before.You have gotten the deal of a lifetime and have a real High performance atv.By the way a 250R isn't good on the trail? Thats ridiculous, put a spark arrestor on it and you'll never have more fun. With yours specificly, you'll have to do a few more mods because its a tt machine, but an mx 250R with VERY few mods basically just tires, would be the most fun you ever had.

Old 03-03-2001, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I'm home and the 'new' 250R is in the back of the truck. I will take it out in the morning and give it a try. I couldn't believe how nice it is. The picture doesn't do it justice. The guy I bought it from (a friend of Keith Little - who the bike originally came from) said it will be on the front cover of CycleTrader Magazine next week. My only concern now is when he had the swingarm chrome plated, there was not a bracket installed so a skid plate could be added. Is this a big deal on this bike? I will not be abusing this bike like I did the Raptor (maybe abusing is a harsh word - more like ridding hard over very rough terrain), so maybe it will be ok w/o one?

I will post pictures in the next day or two. Also, I look forward to all of your input on various issues that may come up in the future since I'm new to 2 stroke quads.

Thanks,
Bart
www.members.home.net

Old 03-04-2001, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck with it. Are you going to race? I can not wait to see more pics.

Quick Reply: Should I trade a Raptor for a HIGHLY MODIFIED 250R?