Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2 spark plugs on single piston odessey

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 spark plugs on single piston odessey

I recently bought a honda odessey that has 2 plugs on the single cylinder engine. One of the plugs isnt conected, it only has a single coil on it. I can't get it to run. Could the second spark plug have anything to do with that? Has anyone ever seen one with the 2 plugs? I have searched the net and can't find any one of em like that. I just need any info on it. Thanks

Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I dont know for sure about an odessey I havent seen one in a long time but they use to put two plugs on the cylinder of a two stroke so if one plug fouled you could just put the coil wire on the other plug and keep riding. hope this helped

Old 07-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I posted the same question on a harley forum and got the same answer. Good thinking on hondas part. Now I have compression, gas and spark, why can't I get this thing to run? I was told it is probally the points. I am waiting on my manual so where are they located so I can check em? I would love to get this thing running. I traded it for a 50cc chinese quad and the ole ladys pissed I traded a running quad for a nonrunning atv.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its got good spark the points are O.K . Check the gas and compression again but if its getting spark that should rule out the electrical system . Is this a 250 or a 350 ? If its a 250 they dont have suspension and they ride real rough . If its a 350 they had suspension and rode decent either way its a good trade if you traded for a chinese quad . Those things are dangerous .They dont use quality parts and are more or less just a disposable quad . You ride them for a month or two and they break down and you wont be able to fix them .

Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 PM
2 strokes or 4

I read your other post. If it starts with starting fluid ( very bad idea if it's a 2stroke ) and you're getting gas to the carb. then the jets are clogged.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Thanks, I posted the same question on a harley forum and got the same answer. Good thinking on hondas part. Now I have compression, gas and spark, why can't I get this thing to run? I was told it is probally the points. I am waiting on my manual so where are they located so I can check em? I would love to get this thing running. I traded it for a 50cc chinese quad and the ole ladys pissed I traded a running quad for a nonrunning atv.
About the only thing left is it sheared the key on the mag and it is out of time.
I would double check for fuel. Spray some ether in it and see if it starts on it. If it does you have a fuel supply problem.
If it does not start or pop I would double check the ign system and see if you get spark.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone, it's got a brand new carb on it and I can't see that the adjustments so far off it just won't work. I'm going to redo the points and hope thats it. I hope I get my manual soon, this things a little harder than redoing one of them chinese things.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If you have good spark now, points arn't going to do anything for you.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not sure if its a good spark, I held the wire while someone pulled the rope and I just didn't get the shock I was expecting, my lawnmower had a better jolt to it (yes I tried both) I figured even if its not it, I would have an extra just in case. Its a cheap and easy fix.