Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

To Do or NOT to do a twist throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Do or NOT to do a twist throttle?

I grew up on the first models of quads. Now older, I got into a CRF450R dirt bike. Two years later and I bought two quads. I thought about making the conversions to twist throttle to match the dirt bike.

Is there pros or cons to twist throttles on quads? Never had twist until the dirt bike. What is everyones opinions?

Old 10-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If your an avid dune rider or endurance racing, the twist is a good option.
For just riding in the woods and such, a bad idea IMO. As you get all whooptie with a quad, you tend to grab onto the bars which can end with disaster with a twist.
My 2 cents.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

Im also wondering the same thing, and im probably going to get a moose racing duel gasser.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer

My thoughts about the oops....wouldn't I have the same effect on the dirt bike? I see comments about this and I wonder if something is different on a quad and how you are seated. The 400ex is new to me and as I get use to it, I will be leaning off the side and powering into the corners. This is a different seating than a dirt bike and I wondered who drives hard and what the throttle does to them.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sit normal on a quad, turn the handlebars to mimic turning, watch your right hand. see how a left turn would decelerate and a right turn accelerate. dirt bikes lean with small adjustments on the handlebars, eh? i prefer thumb throttles on quads. to each his own. my 2 cents.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

also i suppose you would learn to correct changing the throttle when you turn on a quad with a twist throttle. anyway i think you should just go with whatever you like better

Old 10-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

I have never been a huge twist throttle person.. I often wondered why a thumb throttle never made its way to dirt bikes and such.. Ive ridden plenty of bikes and such and have had times when something might happen and to hang on you basically have the throttle pinned open because your outta control and you cant let go.. I dunno never seemed a problem on a atv. Although I have been riding for a day and my thumb has been pretty tired.. I dunno whatever you like hell put a gas pedal on it if you like it =)

Old 10-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

I don't remember who makes it, but it is a twist and thumb combo. You can lock the twist out if not needed. Competition accesories have it. It came out early this year. I think Moose maybe?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

here it is
Moose Racing 2011

Now you can choose

Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Trailblazer

I have the parts to do the twist throttle on the 400ex. Thanks for everyones input and still curious. One good thing will be that I can always put the thumb throttle back on if all else. For the cost, I will give it a try and see how it is. Now I just need the time to install it! I will post the updates. Still back and forth feelings and only one way to find out.

Quick Reply: To Do or NOT to do a twist throttle?