Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which engine company should I use to upgrade 250R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about going with a 330 or 350 power valve kit from CT Racing, but heard someone say they would look at other companys instead. What companys do you recommend, not recommend and what kits work best for dune riding?

Also, the swingarm on the R now is not set up for a skidplate, but I have an extra Lobo swingarm that is. Should I mess w/ putting on the Lobo for the skidplate or do most of you run w/o a skidplate? I needed one when I had the Raptor, but I will be more picky about where I go w/ the R.

Bart
www.members.home.net/bartkim

Old 03-08-2001, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bird, I don't own an R, but of all the shops that I have spoken with LRD impressed me the most(trinity was the exact oppisite).They took the time (at lrd) to help me out and went as far as getting another TRI-Z into their shop and DB testing a pipe/sil for me.They are located close to the oregon dunes, so I assume they know alot about building good dune shredders.Good luck,let us know what you do.

Old 03-08-2001, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

I would check out Rick at macdizzy.com since you mentioned dunes in particular. He upgraded my Old CT 250 Kit and it is great. HE is the guy who will port it and he will talk with you for a long time. You might want to only go up to a 310 Powervalved since you need top end for sand. They rev quicker/harder than the bigger motors just with less torque. Either way you go, I'm sure you'll be happy.

CT250R

Old 03-08-2001, 02:52 PM
87r
Range Rover

From what I hear, LRD is the best or among the best and CT and Trinity are among the worst. I don't really know anything about CT's product - I only know that they were complete d*ckheads to me on the phone.

FTZ in Missouri is supposed to make a good R motor, also.

Old 03-08-2001, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

I'll go along with the others on the engine builder recommendations. I've heard nothing but good things about LRD and MacDizzy.
I run a skid plate on my R's. Just to be safe, ya never know what you might run over. After all, they don't have that much ground clearance. I've seen people run without them in the dunes, but having one isn't that much extra weight and will protect things.

Old 03-08-2001, 03:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Check this site out...I have read some impressive write/ups on these guys (recent atv mags).
http://www.psiperformance.com/catalo...6_Honda250.htm
265cc-60hp
330cc-65hp
425cc-over 70hp!!!

Also..like 87r...I talked to the guys at CT and they are a$$$oles.

Old 03-08-2001, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

TC Racing (Tom Carlson) he did my raptor and he will be doing my R as soon as I get one hopefully this weekend as long as its not a piece. He does Doug Gust's R.

Old 03-08-2001, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a nice used 86 250r in November and am searching for an engine builder also. I am most impressed with LRD so far. They are fairly expensive, but seem to be very much into making sure that your engine works perfectly for you.

I ride mostly woods and desire a very electric motor like powerband. I will sacrifice top end horsepower for tractor like low and mid range. Quick throttle response and the ability to go from idle to redline instantly are important to me. A 300cc powervalved set up sounds perfect for me.

Can you guys name some of the smaller, less national shops that do great engine work? RCR did a wonderful job on my Polaris, but I want the transmission rebuilt also and am not sure if Rick has the time to do it right. I know he has the knowledge and skill, but if you have ever been to his shop you know he is a VERY busy man and interuptions lead to mistakes.

Thanks for any info.

Paul

Old 03-08-2001, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

I know a guy that built a 500r. I would do that.

Old 03-08-2001, 04:18 PM
87r
Range Rover

paulrn,

I know of one guy around me that had FTZ build his R motor. I haven't ridden with him yet but I have heard from others that it RIPS. It uses a 2000 CR 250 jug and was NOT cheap but I think they offer other, less expensive motor packages.

I noticed that you are from Il also - these guys are down in Cape Girardeau, MO so it wouldn't be that far to ship or even drive your motor to.

Check out there site and see what you think:

http://www.ftzracing.com/

Quick Reply: Which engine company should I use to upgrade 250R?