Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Message from Polaris owner--I should have bought a 400ex sooner!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get me stuck in the mud, go rent a truck to pull me out, take the truck back to rent- a -truck, and i will still catch up to your slow *** 4x4 Es.

Old 03-11-2001, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

I bet you'll lose that c*cky attitude when you're out in the boondocks and get stuck in a 3ft hole with thick mud filling it. Especially when the temperature is dropping, and you remember you forgot to pack all of your survival gear, and you told no one were you were going.

Old 03-12-2001, 03:44 PM
Range Rover

Good thread, glad you like the 400EX Paul. They are sweet.

I went riding on saturday with 5 good friends: Scram500 4x4, Scram400 4x4, Sport400, Explorer 400, 400EX and a Warrior. Yeah my friends have funny names... It has been raining a lot here in Texas so we couldn't ride the creek. Even the high trails were covered in mud and water. We had a great time though and I took a bunch of pictures.

The 4WD bikes ruled the day. The 2WD bikes had lots of trouble unless they could get some speed going. Trouble is, not many mudholes have room to accelerate.

Of the 2WDs, the Sport400 kicked all the other's butts convincingly. The 400EX did much better than the Warrior, but both of these bikes suffered in the mud. The Warrior did really really poorly. That bike has almost no clearance at all.

Of the 4WDs, the Explorer clearly won. Those 25" tires were everything and he won most of the mud drags. The mud drags were great! The 400EX & Sport 400 would hit the mud faster than the 4WDs, but inevitably they would slow down and start bogging.... I won't even talk about the Warrior.

I took some great pictures and will post them as soon as I have time. One particularly revealing sequence is a set of pictures I took of every bike crossing a long mudhole with a two foot lip at the end. The pictures look great because the Polaris bikes would just hop right up the incline lookin' all studly (LOL), while the other 2 bikes would sit and spin for a while throwing up giant water plumes. (Of course I picked a spot where my bike would shine for the pictures hehe).

What exactly is the reason for this post? I dunno LOL. Actually, I was hoping to illustrate by example why having 4x4 can be such an overwhelming advantage. Granted, we don't ride like this all of the time, but I asked all the guys riding 2WD if they honestly wouldn't have preferred having 4WD today. They all looked at me defensively, (kinda like y'all are doing right now hehe) and then said "Hell yes I want 4WD...but only for today!" LOL

ps The 400EX guy is out looking for a new Rubicon, I guess he caught the "Mud Bug" lol. Now if I can just get those 589s.........

Regards,

MrMan

Old 03-12-2001, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

If Honda would make a factory stock 440EX with reverse & 4WD I'd be in line for one. Right behind all you guys

Old 03-12-2001, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, they DO make a factory stock 440EX with reverse & 4WD I think they call it a... Rubicon, but I don't think it's a 440. If you like going in the mud buy a 4x4 and shut the F' up, if not then stay out and shut the F' up. Yeah I know God made dirt and dirt don't hurt and all that shiznit as for me I don't care for mud pies.

Old 03-12-2001, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

2fiftyX,
Are spouting off at me?
Are you OK? You seem confused or lost or something.

Old 03-12-2001, 06:39 PM
Range Rover

2FiftyX,

Put the cup of coffee down....and slowly back away from the keyboard.... hehehe....

Well, obviously the topic you love so much is back. hehehe... I don't see where anybody has said anything so objectionable as to justify your outburst. Sheesh...get a grip dude.

As a further reference to my earlier post. We don't normally go out of our way to hit the mud. We basically had no choice because of all the rain but still wanted to ride. Why waste a perfectly good riding day anyways? Can't let a little mud chase us away after all. We say "You gotta ride what the ride gives ya and run what ya brung"... then we usually say Yee-haw and whoop it up a bit! (being Texas and all you understand)

This may sound silly, but given your comments in the last thread where we had words, are you afraid of dirt with water added to it? hehehe... That has to be it. Or do you think it inappropriate that I provide a real world example that shows just how valuable 4WD (and reverse) is?

If it seems I am beating a dead horse talking about 4WD & reverse, it is because of posters like you (but not you exclusively of course) always trying to minimize the advantages of 4WD/ reverse while at the same time going off on some "testosterone/adrenalized/he-man MX-enabled riders don't need no steenking 4WD or reverse cuz of our skillz" trip....where my results....and frankly those of nearly everybody around me shows 4WD/ reverse to be a necessity.

Then again, maybe not. The 2WD/4WD (and reverse) issue is worth arguing though and "Shut the F-up" just aint gonna do it dude.

Regards,

MrMan

ps. Before anybody flames me, read the "400EX No Reverse...WHO CARES" thread to get a perspective on the above posts. Once you read it....please flame away. hehehe

btw It was so nice helping the 400EX out of the mudhole when it got high centered. Being a lighter bike really helped. I just about split a gut getting my bike out of the same mud hole. (I made it about 30ft further though... nanner nanner boo boo)

Old 03-12-2001, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Remember ATV stands for "All Terrain Vehicle" not "Some Terrain Vehicle As Long As It's Not To Muddy" LOL.

Old 03-12-2001, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

why buy those ugly things... go out buy a 400ex have 2 grand too mod the thing two be better that the fx400. IT was a good idea but they lossed it when they started to change it. I seen one the guy had the price tag on it and I backed away slowly, though I thought about it all together I have about as much into mine.

Old 03-12-2001, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

SPAM IS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Message from Polaris owner--I should have bought a 400ex sooner!!