Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450ES vs. Kodiak 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-1999, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm VERY close to my first ATV purchase and will readily admit I am a novice when it comes to knowing much about them. I have done quite a bit of research though, and have narrowed my choice down to a Honda 450ES or a Yamaha Kodiak 4WD.

My wife wants to learn to ride as well. She doesn't like changing gears and because of that I am intrigued by the automatic transmission on the Kodiak. On the other hand I am well aware of the high degree of Honda reliability.

Specifically would feedback on the following comments:

1) Automatic transmission on Kodiak. Sings" loudly and can be quite bothersome.

2) The Kodiak transmission will slip when wet because it is belt driven.

3) The Honda turning radius (because it is full time 4WD)is is much wider than a Yamaha (when in 2WD).

3) The Kodiak has more power/ torque.

4) There is no way to log hours on a Kodiak and no add-on for that purpose.

5) The 450ES LED speedometor is unreliable and drains power even when the unit sits turned off.

6) The electronic shifting on the 450ES can be quite uneven at times (ex: shift from 2 to 3 is not instantaneous).

PLEASE, feel free to comment freely! You can't hurt my feelings, because I haven't developed a brand loyalty.

At least not yet anyway!

Thanks,

Keith

Old 09-09-1999, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

I can only speak from personal experience, but...

>5) The 450ES LED speedometor is unreliable and drains power even when the unit sits turned off.

I haven't had any trouble at all with my LCD readout. As far as power drain, when the unit is turned off, the only power being used by the speedometer pod is to power the clock. I can't imagine it using that much. Another reason for power drains could be aftermarket add-ons like winches and the like that are wired directly to the battery. If not wired correctly, the battery won't recharge properly, and will result in a loss of power the next time you go to start it.

>6) The electronic shifting on the 450ES can be quite uneven at times (ex: shift from 2 to 3 is not instantaneous).

Again, no trouble with my shifting. It does tend to be a bit sluggish in cold weather, but after being properly warmed up, it works just fine. At least mine does.

Sam

[This message has been edited by honda_450es (edited 09-09-1999).]

Old 09-09-1999, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

They are both excellent machines and I certainly say anything bad about the Kodiak, but I fell that the Honda is a better all-around machine.

I have yet to have even the first problem with the shifting, it shifts smooth and unless you are racing (haha) it shifts plenty fast enough for me, faster than I would normally shift with a foot shifter and if you are really brave (and stupid) you can power shift, just like with a foot shifter. The Honda transmission is quieter, smaller and more responisive than the Kodiak Automatic.

As for the LCD display, I have only heard of 1 or 2 problems with it. Both had to do with letting it sit for a few weeks and the battery drain down. One of two soultions would solve that, either a battery maintainer (small battery trickle charger) or just start it up every week. The advantages of the LCD far outweigh the disadvantages. I love the speedometer, but even more, I think, I like to know what gear I am in at all times. It also has Time (very handy), total hours, trip odometer and odometer.

I think that the Kodiak may be faster, but my ES will top out at 51 with me on it (I am 240lbs.) I would like to get my wife to max it out, I think it may go 53. Keep in mind that's on the speedometer and I do not know how accurate it is, but I have stock tires and correct tire inflation.

I think that the Kodiak may be nimbler and may even handle the mud better, but I have to yet get my ES stuck (1 time I had to get off and back out of some serious mud, but I did not have to push so I dont consider that stuck)

As far as reliability, well what can I say, nothing beats a Honda!

Old 09-10-1999, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

I can't speak much for the kodiak but I was between the 00 big bear and the 450S. Me and a friend just bought a 450S. It was a huge difference in the way they rode and the power.

------------------

Old 09-10-1999, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, the speedo/clock will drain your battery dead if you do not start-up or use your quad on a regular basis. Two friends bought 450ES's and both have had this problem.

Old 09-13-1999, 12:41 PM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

Are we sure that the pod is draining the battery? Anybody done a test on this?

I have had to pull start mine several times but its always been because of an extended storage period (over a month) plus usually cold weather. In any case, it starts right up with the pull cord and is recharged within minutes.

I've had a few sluggish moments with the shifter but again its after sitting a long time and, within a minute of starting out, everything operates very crisply.

As to the choice versus an automatic, I find the electric shift to be no more challenging than an automatic so your wife shouldn't have a problem with it (but, of course, check with her first).

Also, consider the value of floorboards (I don't think the new Kodiak has them -- correct me if I'm wrong). They seem to help new riders a lot with stability and confidence. They also help avoid scraped ankles on the pegs, they protect against nasty brush, and they deflect mud and water spray. I think they make for a more civilized riding experience and your wife will probably appreciate them.

Just my thoughts, but you probably won't regret either choice.

Thanks,

Rod

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-13-1999).]

Old 09-13-1999, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

Yes it is the pod draining the battery. Honda is coming out with a recall notice to fix this problem. They will be adding a battery power cut-off switch. When Honda hears of a problem, and it is verified, they fix it. Listening Polaris? TF

Old 09-14-1999, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

I guess that neabd that I will have to reset my clock every time I go riding. Just like a VCR, the clock will always be wrong.