Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

You know you're a Honda rider if....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011 | 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Specta
The choke reminded me of a few years back we stopped to talk to a couple of people parked on the side of the trail. He siad that when his ATV got hot and he shut it off he had to wait anywhere from 30-45 minutes before it would start, wasn't sure if it was a battery or the starter.

He was riding a Polaris 500 HO and had owned it for about 2 years. I was sitting on my ATV looking at his rope start and asked him if he could start it with that. He didn't even look down and just stared at me with the deer in the headlight look. He didn't even know it had a pull start.

One pull, that's all.
My dad had just passed away after buying a new trolling motor a year before. My brother and I had it up in VT for the first time the summer after. We both have worked on outboards, mowers, chainsaws, etc. and had a good understanding of engines. Well this one had a choke **** that turned from 12 o'clock to about 3. Of course we surmised this was a choke you turn. Could not get it started. Took the cowl off and sprayed some engine starter in the carb. Still not much more than a cough. Fed up, we took it to the local marina. Went back late in the afternoon to see what the guy had to say. He had a bunch of buddies hanging around him and gave them the elbow in the ribs that kind of said to me, "here they come". He just said two words. "Pull choke." We felt pretty, rightly, stupid. So, now I check to see how the choke works before I tinker with things.

Old 05-18-2011 | 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

If everything on you're four wheeler leaks but it still runs better than most other bikes

Old 05-18-2011 | 11:23 PM
|
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

You just bolted on your 7th set of tires.

Old 05-19-2011 | 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

If you appreciate a good investment!

Old 05-22-2011 | 07:48 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
We'll behave Uncle Freebird.... Hey, is he gone? He's not watching is he?

You know you're a Honda owner when you willingly take abuse from guys with more power, traction, and features for that little bit extra bit of reliability.

That being said, I like Honda's. Just waiting for them to make a 2-up machine, with full 4wd. I'd take a look then.
Not sure if that'll ever happen based on honda's "philosophy". I don't think they're big on 2 up machines at all--they don't think it's safe to ride 2 up. Not sure why they don't have diff lock on them, though...

Old 05-22-2011 | 11:00 PM
|
Pro Rider

You don't need a locker to make it to the top of the hill.

Old 05-23-2011 | 05:39 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Specta
You don't need a locker to make it to the top of the hill.
I'm so new to quad riding, just HAVING 4wd will be new and different to me. I don't think I'll even miss diff lockers....

Old 05-23-2011 | 07:33 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by taxman
I'm so new to quad riding, just HAVING 4wd will be new and different to me. I don't think I'll even miss diff lockers....

ehh- you can't miss what you don't have.
front lockers do make a difference in some situations...

this is a pretty good video of locking diffs-

Old 05-23-2011 | 08:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

4 wheels pull much harder then 3,it just comes down to physics.
Honda will have a AWD ATV some day, but there sloooow with changes,the did not have selectable 2wd/4wd until 2003 while others had it in 1996. Honda still has drum rear brakes on the Rancher,Foreman and Rubicon, nobody else has used drum brakes for years I think.

Old 05-23-2011 | 08:43 AM
|
Pro Rider

video: YouTube - ‪Mark‬‏

Once again let me show you that lockers are only one piece of the package.

I'm sitting at the top of the hill. I cut the trail through the snow on my 3-wd 10 year old Rubicon.

My frined has a brand new Suzuki 750 King Quad with brand new Maxxis Big Horn tires and he has his locker engaged.

I had to shut my camera off and hike back down the trail and move the log that my 3-wd ATV climbed over and his "locked" ATV could not get over so he could make it up the hill and this was before I got my new STI Black Diamond XTRs.

Yes I know 4 wheels pull better than 3.

Like I said; "You don't need a locker to make it to the top of the hill."

Quick Reply: You know you're a Honda rider if....