Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda TRX350D Fuel Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda TRX350D Fuel Question

I am new to the group so please forgive my lack of knowledge but I need some help from you guys. I just recently purchased a Honda 350D 1988 model and my fuel pump is not working correctly. I have a couple of basic questions about it. First according to my manual it says to place the jumper in the connector for the fuel cut relay and then turn the ignition on for 5 seconds then back off and measure the amount of fuel that is pumped. The thing is when I turn on the ignition the pump will only click ONE time and not pump any fuel, BUT if I apply power to the pump intermittenly directly from the battery it will click every time I make contact and the fuel will come.

Am I misreading the manual in that it appears that the fuel pump should RUN for as long as the jumper is in the "Fuel Cut Relay" when the fuel line is not connected to the carb ???? I have already replaced my fuel cut relay and this did not help...Where should I go next! Thank you!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Any Ideas????

Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default fuel problems

i am having pretty much the same issue. if i jump the fuel pump it runs fine but when it is plugged in correctly it wont pump or turn on. i am not totally familiar with the machine. i have lots of experience with engines and i am pretty good at diagnostics but i havent figured it out. just a little more tinkering and ill probably get it but if anyone has any ideas that would help that would be great! thanks

Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Fuel pump in turned on by an pump relay [ inside the little metal box over the right rear tire on frame]...Pump relay doesnt come on until the starter button in pushed an ignitions fire, the pulses of cdi turn relay on then relay turns pump....Has the engine revs up the ignition sparks more then the pump runs more to deliver more fuel.....Take an test light an probe the blue and yellow wire at pump harness then turn key on the push starter button then watch test light to see if light burns in test light if so then pumps is getting the signal to work....If light burns then ground the test light to the green wire at pump harness to make sure harness is grounded good...If so the light will burn also the same way as before...Good Luck

Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Also EDO17 we all can help you here...The other post is an year an half old....

Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Also EDO17 we all can help you here...The other post is an year an half old....
hey papa hogg scoot. so i got into it a little more and i have no spark or siglnal to the coil. and nothing at the fuel pump at crank. i jumped the fuel pump and it works. kinda stumped... cdi box? stator? i dont have the correct battery could that be it? not enough or to much voltage. the bike turns over i need help.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Is the wiring harness butchered up? Really need an 14 amp batt. really but thats prolly not problem tho....Well this redneck what i am about to say...Locate the cdi up under the right front inner fender,,then take an screwdriver handle an tapped the cdi prett hard while doing this push the starter button watch the spark at plug or tester see if fire when hit cdi...sometimes this will make the cdi fire if the cdi not completlly dead yet...If no luck then you will have to test around the cdi from other componates. before the cdi...Lets try this first an get back here,,,then we will take the next step..remember you got to have an hot batt before testing any electrial parts on this bike

Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Is the wiring harness butchered up? Really need an 14 amp batt. really but thats prolly not problem tho....Well this redneck what i am about to say...Locate the cdi up under the right front inner fender,,then take an screwdriver handle an tapped the cdi prett hard while doing this push the starter button watch the spark at plug or tester see if fire when hit cdi...sometimes this will make the cdi fire if the cdi not completlly dead yet...If no luck then you will have to test around the cdi from other componates. before the cdi...Lets try this first an get back here,,,then we will take the next step..remember you got to have an hot batt before testing any electrial parts on this bike
no the wiring harness looks good as far as i can see. the bike ran great a few years ago, used it every day at my dads marina. then the fuel pump or so we thought started acting up. someone started tinkering with it and gave up and it has been sitting for two years. ill give the cdi a beating and see what happens haha. would the cdi also control the fuel cut relay?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yes.....Did the cdi fire after the tapp.? Is your kill switch on the left handlebar working good? I shte ignition switch in good shape?